1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 - AEB Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bsdubois00, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I am looking at purchasing the G3 and I enjoy shooting HDR - I know the G3 can do 7 shots with a total range of +/- 3EV.

My question - when you set the camera to bracket 7 shots - can you set the timer to take all the shots for you with one press of the shutter or do you have to manually depress the shutter for every shot?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If it works like the GH2, it won't take all 7 shots with just one press, but if you hold the shutter release down it will fire off all 7, so you don't have to press it 7 times.

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  4. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So the G3 will allow for a shutter release cable?

If so this is more than sufficient!

5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
  6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    "Hähnel Combi TF" is even better it can serve as wireless shutter release or as wireless flash trigger ;)

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This thing sounds quite delightful! Except for not compatible with Nissin flashes, less that detailed user manual and explicit warnings not to use older high voltage flashes (like the OP has).

9. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Unfortunately it's not like the older Panny's where one press of the shutter ran of the set of bracketed exposures. With the G3 there are two options to choose, either press the shutter separately for each one of the bracketed shots OR just press and hold the shutter till the set of bracketed shots is complete. That's progress for you........... I use the latter option on the G3 but TBH the system on the older cameras was much much better.

10. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    ..and I forgot to add that the timer and the bracketing are separate - you can't have both at the same time. Putting them together was another thing that was there in the past....... What that means is that a remote is worth having - minecame with my LC1 (yes, years ago) and it works fine on the G3.

11. ryukent

ryukent New to Mu-43

May 9, 2012
    +/- 1 EV per frame. Some lists say it's +/- 2/3?

Can you confirm it's +/- 1 EV per frame. Some lists say it's +/- 2/3 per frame. I really want to buy this camera for HDR but having a full 6EV coverage on 7 frames rather than 4 makes a lot of difference to me.

I'd be interested to hear your views on using a G3 for HDR. Is the wireless remote worth it?

How would you overall rate this camera for HDR?

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Page 80 of user manual (English version) lists all possible combinations; final choice is 7 exposures at 1 EV separation.