G3 adventures with legacy lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sevenil, Sep 8, 2011.

1. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    They were lying in a cupboard - Pentax K mount and Minolta AF lenses, so why not try and use them? So I bought a couple of adapters.
    The manual lenses from the Pentax work without a problem - once all the appropriate settings have been made on the G3.
    The Minolta lenses being auto, are a different matter - lots of lens jitter. Concluded that the answer might be to set up the lenses on the old Minolta 9xi, choose an aperture then switch the lens to manual before putting it on to the G3. That seems to work by setting the same aperture on the G3, but it's not exactly convenient. (I'm sure someone will tell me I should step down or up)
    Is there any other way? I guess probably not, if I really wanted to get use out of the Minolta lenses I should have bought a Sony.
    No big deal, there's plenty to be done with the camera and it's kit lens, just liked the idea of the challenge, to see if I could beat the machines into submission.

2. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    I've got a similar problem using canon L primes, what I do is stop down the lens to the "sweet spot" eg. f/2.8 on my 135mm f/2 and then use apeture priority with the GH2, you obviously can't control the apeture.

I have seen some adapters on ebay that have built in apeture blades that allow you to set the apeture on the adapter, so in effect it may be similar to your pentax experience. Not sure how well this works.

If you want full AF and auto apeture control then I've only heard of one company developing a "smart" adapter for ef mount lenses, it's expected to cost about $700.

3. That's why I find the best adapter for EF lenses is an EOS camera.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Agreed, but I do like having a very compact 400mm f/2.8 lens for time to time

CRW_0285.

• Like Like x 1
  5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Is your adapter like this one:

SONY Minolta MA lens Adapter Panasonic Micro 4/3 G10

It appears to allow you to step the aperture up/down via the numbered ring that moves the adapter pin against the aperture tab on the lens. I've been thing about picking one up for my old Maxxum lenses.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't have any Minolta lenses, so there may be something to those that I don't understand, but....

First, as Iannes said, just put the body in Aperture Preferred mode, rather than trying to set the camera to match the actual lens aperture.

Second, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "lens jitter."

7. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    The adapter mentioned by carpandean looks interesting and might be better then the one I have which came from Fotodiox - no ring to make changes. If you give the adapter with the numbered ring a try - let us know how it goes.
    Meyerweb - by lens jitter I mean that the image does not hold steady, it jitters as if the lens was hunting for correct focus, although that's obviously not the case.