1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3, 45mm(and one 20mm). Comments welcome =]

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by napilopez, Jun 17, 2012.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I really do love these two lenses. The 20mm is more practical in focal length and size, but the 45mm seems to work great for the type of shooting I find myself doing(street portraits and nature stuff). I also feel like I'm slowly but surely getting consistently better with my photos on average, which is good to see.

Here are some photos I've taken with these two lenses in the past couple of weeks. Most were with the 45mm, except for the red fire escape. Shot RAW, processed to varying extents in LR4.1

Comments and criticism are welcome, appreciated, and desired!

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

7)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  2. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Also, 2, 5, and 7 are cropped(some of the others may be, but insignifcantly or only marginally for composition). Here's the original crop of 5, which I can't decide if I prefer to the close up of the turtle. I feel like it depends on display size. Colors are slightly different in this one

[​IMG]

7 Was cropped and straightened to remove a tilt that people on other forums I posted didn't seem to like.

EDIT: Here's the original with the tilt, which I think I still prefer. Not cropped except for aspect ratio.

[​IMG]

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks for posting...some really nice images there of which the last is my favourite, I really like the gritty feel. The only other thing I would add relates to image #1. That type of shot is one that I have taken quite often but am trying weed out from my shooting habits , the street shot from behind. It's a confidence thing I guess but shooting a little closer and front-on gives a more telling image I believe.....I'd rather see a persons face, their eyes and expression rather than the back of their shirt, it's a lot more interesting. Like I said, it's not something that in practice I achieve often...but it is something that I'm working on.

4. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Thanks for your comments! I think I agree, and I've been trying to do the same actually. I chose that photo more for the almost high key look though. More of an aesthetic thing than a purely photographic one I guess. I would've actually prefered it if he were looking straight ahead, so he could blend in better with the background, or if he were actually facing me as you said. I actually do have shots of him facing em, but I try to avoid showing clear pictures of my friends out of respect of their privacy(and since I take so many pictures of them haha).

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is no "the" 45, there are two options - the original PL45/2.8 macro, and the new 45/1.8

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Good point. The original 45 (the Panasonic) seems to have disappeared from the radar except in discussions of macro. It certainly is a well-built lens and a good performer in situations where a large aperture isn't required. The tiny Oly 45 sure is convenient to carry, though.

7. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    nr 3 is great - nice catch of all ornaments of stairs :)

8. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    This is true, I apologize because it is so ubiquitous That said the shallow DOF with largish subjects should give away which lens I'm using =P The F1.8 is also simply a lot more ubiquitous since it's cheaper and more practical for most. That said, I should have specified.

Thanks! Seems a number of people like this photo. Based on responses from other places, even though I was quite unhappy ultimately with how the colors came out.

9. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Nice shots one and all.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nice work.... #3 and #7 are my favorites also. I think I slightly prefer the original #7 with the tilted angle myself, though both look good. #7 has a lot of good color and texture that I quite like. Thanks for sharing!

11. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Thanks!