G3 + 100-300 does Motorsport

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by harry_s, Aug 29, 2011.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I bought a G3 and Panasonic 100-300mm last week, as I love a challenge I decided to take it along to my local race circuit for a test drive. I work cameras/lens very hard when shooting motorsport and I'm known for using some fairly crazy shutter speeds, but obviously I was well aware that the new combo would have some limitations.

Firstly, it's hard not to compare to my Nikon D90 and Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR (even though cost, weight and size wise they are worlds apart) but that's all I have to compare to. I'm not going to lie, it was much much harder shooting with the G3. Shutter lag, a very annoying potential burst mode bug and autofocus which initially inspires confidence (it looks ok in the EVF) but is actually 'a bit ropey'. I expected all these things though and certainly didn't buy into Micro 4/3s for sports photography.

Overall though, I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt. I've got 6 or 7 more events lined up this year so hopefully I will have a much better understanding of the camera before the year is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Castle Combe Sportscar Raceday 2011

• Like Like x 6
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm impressed!

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Nice shots. What were your AF/drive settings? I'm going to watch some motorcycle racing next weekend and will bring the GH2 plus the 100-300...

4. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    AFC, 1 Area AF, 'H' Burst Mode (which didn't work) and Shutter Priority anywhere between 1/50 and 1/320.

'AF Tracking' was terrible and will never be used again, although I wasn't expecting too much as I tend to shoot at fast points around the circuit (well over 100mph) and even the 3D Tracking on my D90 was pretty useless.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Impressed? I think you're a miracle worker! Any idea what kind of keeper rate you had over the day?

6. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Keeper rate was around 1 in 10. The first 100 were a complete write-off whilst I was getting to grips with the shutter lag (lots of pics of cars leaving the frame!) and the focus modes, but by the afternoon it was going pretty well.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm kind of curious why AFC instead of AFS, it seems to me that the AFC adds shutter lag and "H" burst (which blacks out live view) vs M (which doesn't)

8. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    In theory (according to the manual at least) AFC with Burst will predict the subsequent focus point for the rest of the burst, AFS will only take focus from your first shot of the burst. I've always shot Continuous Autofocus with DSLRs, AF Single 'locks' on the half press, but with panning the subject might have moved another 30ft before you actually take the photo.

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've been interested to see how well the M burst mode (3fps with live view updates) works in practice. I've played around with it a little, but haven't had a chance to really use it right.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think #1 might be most revealing to non-motor sports fans. Check out the shifting of the weight to the outside tires. Even if you don't understand the complex intertwined relationship between speed, grip and the ability to turn, this shot kind of hints at it.

#2 is classic speed

#3 meh....when everything is crisp and frozen, I'm a bit bored. It's a lovely, classic old beauty, but it almost seems parked.

#4 is that a Renault....nice shot all the way 'round.

#6 the composition is COOL!

nice work. Makes me want 100-300 even more....and your skills.

11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Obviously not the 'native territory' of MFT, but some great shots none the less!

Looking forward to seeing your work from the rest of the season :smile:

12. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My second attempt, switched to AFS and everything got much much easier, even if the wind and rain made panning tougher this time around. Panning was down to 1/30th at times which is as good as I managed with my Nikon kit. I'm really really impressed with it all, I never expected half as much from it to be honest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summer Action Day 2011 - Chris Harrison Photography | SmugMug

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Great shots.