G2's Price... better start saving ;-)

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
That's what retailers put down in their system for items that aren't yet released... They put an obnoxiously high price so that no one can accidentally sell it...

My buddy was in retail when PS3 came out.. It was listed for $999,999.00 in Best Buys inventory system until the release date.

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
NOT! 30,000 Pounds

This is just some kind of filler price until the real thing arrives! Looking at the Amazon UK page with the G2's you see all versions including body only and those with lens are all listed at the price of 30,000 pounds. As we all know different configurations cost different amounts..Amazon has been known to do this in advance of the items arrival or documentation of retail price from the manufacturer.

Oh! the conversion of Pounds to US dollars would make this camera cost $45,576.00 in the US! Now that's an EXPENSIVE piece of equipment and not gold plated or diamond studded.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Karen, it follows suite that after a recession, inflation follows...
I thought the price was kinda in line...I just paid $5,500.00 for a Starbucks latte...

and then I woke up.....

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm thinking if the G2 goes for around 900 bucks, it will be a total failure. It's going to need to be in the 700 to no more than 800 range to generate interest I think.

With the GH1 going for around 1100 right now, I can't see that 900 dollar price. With so many cameras now doing 1080p and the G2 doing 720, I'm not sure what they were thinking. But Panasonic always does some weird stuff and still does well.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I'm thinking if the G2 goes for around 900 bucks, it will be a total failure. It's going to need to be in the 700 to no more than 800 range to generate interest I think.

With the GH1 going for around 1100 right now, I can't see that 900 dollar price. With so many cameras now doing 1080p and the G2 doing 720, I'm not sure what they were thinking. But Panasonic always does some weird stuff and still does well.

That's a good point. Maybe Panny is locking it self in to a price point.
The problem I see with Panny and Oly is that if they insist on selling the camera as a kit with a lens, this will hurt sales. Body only at this point in time is a must. I'd like to sell my G1 and get a Pen2 to back up my Pen1.
I don't want another kit lens....

If the G2 body only sells for around $650.00 USD..it'll move but I don't see it happening...
I still can't get the Pen2 as a body only....crazy...

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Very true regarding the body only offerings - and the points made about Panasonic's pricing. I didn't want either lens offered with the E-P2 and if I were to buy another camera now, most likely I wouldn't want the "kit lens" offered. Perhaps what they need to think about is all the people out there that do want a second body on which to use their existing lenses...and start selling some more faster mu43 lenses. Anyhow that's what I'd like.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
That's a good point about the body. I've read that the G10 will have the plastic mount 14-42 lens and the G2 will have the old metal mount 14-45, but have read conflicting reports. Either way, I would have no interest in it since I already have the 14-45. But I would consider the G2 a worthy upgrade from my G1 if you could just get the body at a fair price. The way Panasonic prices things though, I'm thinking by the time you can get the G2 without a lens, something else will come along like an upgraded GH1.

vincechu

Mu-43 Regular
Hey guys I know you're all concerned about Panasonic's pricing, but I don't think it'll be so high.

For example in the UK the G1's recommended retail price is £600GBP (approx( but it goes for around £449 so 25% off.

But if the price of the G2 was that high, it would be a bad decision, especially with competition from Samsung.

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
Streetshooter

Hey Don you got off cheap..I had to give them by private jet for a Frappacino! :eek:

If that G2 went for $45.000 plus..now that would be some camera..it had better take flawless photo's of every kind just by reading the shooters mind! LOL!

Karen, it follows suite that after a recession, inflation follows...
I thought the price was kinda in line...I just paid $5,500.00 for a Starbucks latte...

and then I woke up.....

Latest threads

Top Bottom