1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G2 vs. K5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by elandel, Sep 2, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi folks,

I'm not gonna talk about WB, ISO and all that technical stuff; it's not really important for many reasons that have been discussed in other threads.

Today I finally took my K5 after many months of shooting only with the G2.
    I took them both with me and went around on the mountainside for using both cameras.

Well, what can I say? Shooting with the K5 is a mystical experince, it's a real joy! and what about the G2? It's also a joy, but in another way.

I forgot how a real enjoying experience it was to shoot with the K5 after having the pleasure to shoot with the G2.

The difference? I can make an example for me: shooting with the K5 is like a beethoven's 9th symphony, shooting with the G2 is like Vivaldi's Four Seasons; I hope I could explain the experince of shooting with my cameras.

What I want to say is that using a camera is something that makes you reach an empathic feeling with your G2 or whatever you use. That is something that goes beyond, in a very deep way, the pure technical specifications of the camera. Iso ecc. have no meaning whwn you take you camera to your eye and start composing and shooting.

Untill I took the K5 again in my hands I was unsure if I would sell it, but now I know that I wont do it. And I also know that I wont sell my G2 because I both love them in different ways, even if I'm using the G2 always for a lot of reasons that we have discussed in many threads.

Now my question is: would you like to tell what relationship you have with your camera, why you love it despite is technical specifications?

P.S. If this is the wrong place for this discussion the moderator should move it in the right place.

Thanks.

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think you and the K-5 and G2 need to get a room LOL!

I just ordered a K-5, so I hope to get the same warm fuzzies too!

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    right. A bedroom with a heartbraking bondie.:rofl:

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Don't worry the K5 is a real pleasure to shoot with, like many other cameras obviously, I just don't wont to say that other cameras do not give the same experience. I think that if you love your camera you will love shooting with it.

I just wanted to share an experience with all of you.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    John, you know you'll love the K5 :)

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I've been looking for the love letter forum, when I find it, I'll move the post.

:rolleyes:

7. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    My K5 went in for warranty work. I discovered this forum while waiting for the K5 to come back and ended up with an interim EPL2. I too thought the K5 might get sold as I found myself doing a lot of 'clandestine' street shooting with the EPL2. Then the K5 arrived and I find neither camera sitting still for long. They both have their allure and lets face it, two is better than one

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Congratulations, John! I finally picked up a K-5 from Adorama last week. I was tired of obsessing about it. And because I have a G3 on order from Panasonic Direct (it'll be a while, no doubt), I traded in my G2 and GF1, which brought the cost of the K-5 well under $1000 even when including tax, an extra battery and Pentax's extended warranty.

The irony is, I no sooner got the camera home when Hurricane Irene threatened the NYC metro area, and I had to work through last weekend (news coverage). So Labor Day weekend will be my first chance to really play with the K-5.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Wow, can't believe the K-5 is still holding around $1200 - I'm surprised and impressed, as the previous flagships have typically dipped to around or close to 50% of their MSRP well before this point in the product lifecycle. Just goes to show what a great camera the K-5 is! I love mine and will keep it for a long, long time to come.

Biro, you're in for a fun weekend! Hope you get your G3 soon too, I'm enjoying very much as well, it is a nice compact pairing to the K5 that is quite customizable.

This weekend I'll hopefully find some time to get out with my newest toy...an old 645 I bought 2 weeks ago from keh! Body from them, lens on ebay pieced it together for just over $200 (it was an UG body from KEH, viewfinder has some gunk in it but otherwise the body is in pretty good condition). I've never really truly shot film in any serious/amateur form (aside from a k1000 at summer camp and a point and shoot when I was a kid), so the anticipation is killing me! haha.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

:smile:

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That's right: two is better than one...and three is better than two because maybe I'll buy an E-pl1 or E-pl2:redface:

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I see that you also are a photo-addict.:biggrin: Very bad decease.

13. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I never got the K 5 but have had Pentax stuff for years. My K m is having issues so I got a G10K, and loved it. Recently I took both out to shoot spawning salmon and I found the Km to be chunky and unwieldy....I know the K5 is in a different league though, when I tried one I almost sold my wife..;)

What I found most interesting was how poorly (relatively) my excelent 16-45 did against my panny kit lens. I then looked over all my PEFs from the Km, K100 and G10. While all my pentax lenses were brilliant on my K100 they never really shone on my Km. I have some FA glass, DAs but no pancakes or DA* lenses. I think pentax is currently out resolving many of its cheaper lenses. The only one that really did well was the 50 1.4 and that was stopped down.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think your experience points to a real roblem with legacy glass once we hit the 14mp and higher mark with the newest sensors. For all the talk about the hallowed FA 31mm Limited, there are already signs that the newest Pentax cameras are now beginning to outresolve it. A pity and quite an irony. That's why I never bothered with the FA primes - I figured this day would come before long.

All of my Pentax primes are DA Limiteds. In fact, if :43: progresses the way I expect it to, I may pare back my Pentax kit to primes only.

15. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I've been wishing for the megapixel race to end for years. But then what would the camera companies sell us every 2 years.

16. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Just got the Pentax K-5. Oh my. I hope the guys at Panasonic bring one to their labs to see what a camera should feel like.

And the shutter! The shutter! It's pure aural joy - like kissing the world every time you take a picture!

6121778651_0a56019995_z.
    Another siesta. by john m flores, on Flickr

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Good stuff, John! How long did it take you to charge the battery? For me, it was about six hours.

18. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I gave it about an hour before I put it in for a little test. Now I've got 6AAs in the grip and am stalking the cats by candlelight. ISO6400, here we come!

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    As I said it's pure joy. Now look at your 6400 and let us know.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It always amazes me how many Pentax users are on this forum! I've had a Pentax SLR of some flavor since 1974 but I'm so used to being the only one in the room. I have the K7 which is identical to the K5 except for the the (far better) sensor on the latter. I've thought of going completely :43: but I still use it enough with favorite K mount AF lenses to keep me from selling it. Still, the real advantage of the K5 is the high iso capabilities. Some folks dismiss this because they tend to shoot in good light, but I always seem to find myself pushing my luck in the dark. Flashes have never been my favorite piece of equipment.