1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G2 vs GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shnitz, Aug 25, 2011.

1. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hello everyone! I am a long-time Nikon shooter that currently has a D90 and D80. Originally, I wanted to sell the D80 on Craigslist, and upgrade it to the D3100, which I think is Nikon's first worthy successor to their D40. My reasoning is that I really want a small camera to carry with me sometimes. I'd also like something a little more user-friendly, so that when I'm teaching my girlfriend, brother, etc. something about photography, they will be encouraged to grab this camera and enjoy using it, as opposed to being overwhelmed, like they are with my D90 or D200.

However, it's hard to consider the D3100 with the current prices of the G2 and GF2, which are selling for about $300 if you look in the right places. The G2 is body-only at $300, and the GF2 is with 14-42 lens for $350, plus tax (So about $380). I can't really search the forum because, as search terms, "G2" and "GF2" are too short, so the search function just gives me an error.

Looking at the cameras, it looks like the G2 came out first, and then the GF2 followed, which was a viewfinder-less, more compact version. Is that correct? I like the on-body controls and viewfinder of the G2, especially seeing as neither camera is really pocketable. But, given that this decision has a definite economics component, is the GF2 with lens a much better deal at $380 than a G2 body-only for $300? Is the 14-42 worth investing in, or should I get the G2, which already has a viewfinder, and put that $80 towards a better mid-range zoom?

I already have many Nikon primes that I can use in the meanwhile, so I'll definitely be getting a Nikon-m4/3 adapter. I can't wait to see what Schneider releases; looking around, I'm really stoked that Zeiss and them have committed to the format.

I'm not set on these two cameras: It's just that they're the two good deals that I've found. If any of you have any better recommendations, I'm all ears. The only worthwhile m4/3 camera on Craigslist here in Austin, TX is a G1, and the guy wants $350 for it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Just to let everyone know, I settled on the G2. I really want the camera in the classical use of an SLR: for still images. It seems that the G2 is the 2nd-best m4/3 camera that they've made for this, behind the GH2. It has all of the on-camera controls that you'd want when you want to be decently serious about shooting, and they seem to be well-placed and thought out in design (thank you Panasonic, for hiring human factors engineers. Too many companies forget that at the end of the day, these products have to be usable!) I'll have the camera tomorrow: now to stop by the local camera store and see if there's any lens worth picking up.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Glad we could be of help. Welcome to the forum from a fellow G2 guy.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I already picked up a Kipon Nikon-m4/3 adapter, so I'll try to make some lens reviews of all my Nikon glass in the appropriate forum. I'm not picking up an m4/3 mount lens for now: I'll only be buying "keepers" and I don't see anything in my price range that jumps out at me. I can't wait to use my Nikon 300mm ED lens on it: 600mm effective for relative pennies!

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wish I had seen this thread before...I'm a big fan of the G2 (I think it is an overlooked camera). I have a GF2 as well as a G2 and if I could only have one camera it would be the G2 (without question). I like the GF2 and really appreciate the HD video and small size but the handling of the G2 is quite a bit better and the mini DSLR form factor and built-in EVF makes it easier to use long lenses and legacy glass. In fact I have found the G2 really shines when using legacy glass.

Congrats on your new G2 and welcome to the forums.

6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    The G2 is also hackable now with up to 50mbps video......the G2 is a superb buy and I have both a GH2 and G2 both hacked and they're both super!
    For $299 there isn't a camera around that's better!
    (Shoot RAW for best photo results- and you'll be amazed!)

7. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    i just picked up a g2 off amazon for $302 shipped. what really swayed me to get it was the firmware hack. however i cannot get it to work at all. i think its because they are the newer g2's they are unable to be hacked

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Welcome to the G2 world.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice on the G2, shnitz! If I had gotten here sooner I would have said to forgo the 14-42mm and just use your Nikon primes. As far as a better mid-range zoom, you would be best to use adapted lenses anyways, particularly the Four-Thirds DSLR lenses which has excellent, high-resolving fast zooms and will still Autofocus and give you digital aperture readings on your Micro Four-Thirds body.

I don't think Schneider has released anything yet, but Zeiss is already making their Compact Prime CP.2 cine lenses in Micro Four-Thirds mount. These are HD video lenses.

10. Vripper

Vripper Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    Can you point me in the right direction of the firmware hack?
    I've searched around, but haven't found any info about it.

Thanks

11. thethirdcoast

thethirdcoast New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I just picked up a lightly used G2 after coming to many of the same conclusions you did. I feel like Panasonic really nailed the ergonomics on this body. Its ergonomics and handling are on a par with my Pentax dSLR. I am also impressed with the build quality of the 14-45 and 45-200 zooms I acquired.