1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G2 vs Gf1 - differences?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ashatron, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Hi guys.

Is it fair to assume that the g2 and gf1 are identical in terms of output? same color rendition, same high iso noise?

naturally the g2 has the flip out lcd and EVF. but im wanting to check that the features, IQ and video output are the same.

i find it strange how the g2 scores slightly lower than the gf1 in video mode in the dpreview, but there is no reason why.

I only ask because im considering trading my GF1 for a G2, to gain the EVF and screen, but i want to be sure that im not sacrificing quality in video or stills.

Hope you can help!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The IQ is quite good and on a par with my Olympus E-P1 and E-PL1 (even in JPEG) so I would guess that makes it equivalent to the GF1. I also find it strange that it rates lower as it is my understanding they have the same sensor. From the times I have handled a GF1 I would add that the G2 has a nicer grip (obvious I realize), the iA button is on the top right behind the video button and there is an AF mode dial and lever on the left top . The EVF also has a sensor that turns it on and off when you bring it up to your eye (I like that feature quite a bit and the G3 does not have that unfortunately). The LCD is also touch screen.

Ergonomically I find the G2 to be first rate (but everyone is different).

3. Use both the GF-1 & G2. Regarding still images. I cannot tell any difference between the two bodies. Have you considered keeping the GF-1 body as a backup to the G2?

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a good idea

5. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I would strongly suggest handling a G2 if you haven't already. I found that I couldn't get comfortable with the G2 in my hand because the grip was too small, whereas the GF1 felt good (although I ended up buying an E-PL1).

Otherwise, I don't think you're losing anything. The G2 adds support for autofocus on four/thirds lenses (the GF1 has very limited support) plus the obvious physical features.

Apparently earlier versions of the GF1 were hackable, which allowed you to increase video frame rates and other video features. That's possibly why DPReview marked it higher.

6. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    thanks a lot everyone, very helpful, really appreciate it! :)

7. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Really? thats good to know.
    Do you have any shots side by side? perhaps at high iso for noise levels?
    I'd be very grateful id you could post any! thanks :)

8. Sorry no side by side images using the same lens. From taking a variety of different subjects under a wide range of conditions using a number of different lens I have yet to detect a trend where the GF-1 or G2 has yield better images from my eyes perceptive. Could be because the weakest link in the process is not the gear.

I'm pretty sure the sensors are identical. I suspect that means the RAW images assuming all other elements are same should be identical. Might be wrong on this thought. There might be an "upgraded" jpeg processor in the G2.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    handling the G2 is a good plan. Everyone is different. I love my G2 and think it handles better than just about any camera I have ever had (including DSLRs from Nikon, Canon and Olympus).