1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G2 vs. G10

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by twalker294, Nov 14, 2010.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm considering adding a Panny G series to my Olympus E-PL1 and I'm looking at the G2. Can someone tell me the differences between the G2 and G10? I know the G10 doesn't have the touch screen and the videos are Motion JPEG instead of AVCHD lite, but is there anything else?

Thanks
    Todd

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    • Like Like x 2
  3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Perfect -- thanks so much!

Todd

• Like Like x 1
  4. frankiedeanjnr

frankiedeanjnr New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    Salema, Portugal
    I have got the G2 i love it, so easy to use, just getting into the manual mode at the moment. Checkout my pictures taken with the G2 (with standard kit lens 14mm-42mm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have the G10. The sensor and processing engine are the same. If you can live with the lower resolution EVF, it's a ton of camera for the price....I've seen it in the mid $300 range a few times. You'll have to balance out if the extra features of the G2 are ones that are important to you (relative to the extra cost).

6. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Chevy model (entry) vs Cadillac (high end)...

• more options to make it easier to use. (more customizable)
    • Higher build quality (maybe),
    • higher resale down the road (if that maters)
    Worth it? Maybe, depends on your [wants].

IQ, should be the same.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    More like Chevy (base model) vs. Chevy (with power windows, power locks and heated seats).

more options for sure.....easier to use is up to the end user to decide. (personal preference, I don't care for touchscreens and don't find them as intuitive as buttons).

I've handled both and the build quality seems the same.

Don't worry about the resale value. They're both pretty worthless in 6 months...slight edge to the "whistles and bells" G2, but it costs more, too. Percentage-wise, I'd guess it would be a wash.

I'd skip both and get a G1 is my 2 cents.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    A big one for me would be the flip screen. I have one on my Canon G12 and really miss it on the GF1. Now, if you are always able to set up your shots and are always directly behind your camera (relative to the subject), then it's not a big deal. However, for more spur of the moment type shots, the flip screen allows you to shoot at odd angles (over things, off to one side, etc.) while still seeing the image. Maybe it would be more useful on a P&S styled/sized GF1 (w/ pancake) than a larger SLR styled G1/2/10.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can't believe more cameras don't have the tilt screen. My last camera had one (it was six years old). None of my current 3 cameras do (even though I'd love one......as long as it isn't a touchscreen)

10. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    i love the tilt screen, i kinda wish i had a g2 or a coming gh2...although i can't justify the money spent for the difference against my e-pl1.

gh2 is pretty sexy though.

11. NetizenSmith

NetizenSmith Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    UK
    Worth it for the tilt screen IMO. If you want video then the output from the AVCHD encoding looks higher quality to me. I also thought the touch screen was a gimmick but it's actually useful in a number of ways once you start to use it. Oh, if you're used to an optical viewfinder then the G2's EVF is just about acceptable (IMO), anything worse than that and I'd be quite disappointed I think. I don't know what the price difference between the 2 is though.

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The price difference is around $200, enough to make you think about what's important to you.

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Many places (Amazon, B&H, Ebay, etc.) have the G2 for $549, now. For the G10, there is one Ebay seller with it at $389, Amazon has it for $426, B&H has it for $449, while Adorama only has it used for $379 (their used G2 is $522). So, depending on if you are comfortable with buying from an Ebay seller, the difference may be less than $200, even after sales tax (if applicable.) Still worth thinking about, of course.

14. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Being a G1 user, the G2 doesn't have enough "Updates" for me...
    I think the G2 IQ is marginal better (read Pixel Peeping), and in the end, in larger prints, the printer handles pixels differently anyway, so, any difference with wiped out with the printing.

Get a Great deal on the G1, unless you want a "new" camera. I bet you can find new G1's will a bit searching.