1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G2 versus Canon 5D (Mk1)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JemRaid, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JemRaid

JemRaid Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2016
    Jem Raid
    Hello all,

Some years ago now I bought and used a s/h full frame Canon 5D (the Mk1 as it is called now) it was heavy especially with a few lenses, it was no joke walking for 3 or 4 hours through hilly countryside.

I saw a s/h G2 with the zoom lens on eBay it was an auction that ended on a weekday afternoon and I won it at a good price. I was surprised how much easier it was to use than the Canon most of the stuff I use is on buttons and switches.

But I thought what about the images surely the 5D would knock spots off the G2. So I put it to the test;

5D with 50mm 1.8
    G2 with the zoom set at 25mm
    Used a tripod to take the same pics with both cameras of books on a bookshelf
    Same thing out in the countryside.

Sent the files off to Photobox to have some 18" x 12" prints done. I thought the bookshelf ones might be similar but the ones in the countryside would be so different it would be easy to see the difference.

Looking at the prints from a normal viewing distance my wife and I could see no difference, from close to some bits were better from one camera and worse from the other and vice versa. Fortunately Photobox puts the file numbers on the back of the prints otherwise we wouldn't have known which was which.

I hurriedly sold the 5d for more than I paid for it, ending the listing on a Sunday evening.

I've used the G2 ever since.

Cheers - Jem

• Like Like x 3
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    G2 files are fantastic at ISO 100-200. 400 is usable, 800 on it starts looking terrible though.

3. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I had a similar event where the G1 was more than a match for my shiny new K-7. Pentax shifted to Sony sensors with much better results, but since :mu43: went to 16Mpx the larger-sensor argument no longer interests me.

4. JemRaid

JemRaid Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2016
    Jem Raid
    Hello Vin and Hello Jim,

Interesting comment from you both thanks. I too fell for the hype and bought a s/h G6 and thought for a start that it felt cheap compared to the G2 and with 1/2 the usability. So I sold that as well with a Sunday listing and bought a spare G2 with a shutter count of about 600 as I remember, again on a weekday ending auction.

Recently I bought a GH1 very cheaply in the same manner. I altered it using Mr L Powell's '75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch V2' and I get 30 to 40 Mbps footage out of it at 1920 x 1080i.

Here's an example on YT at 1280 x 720p

best at full screen.

Cheers - Jem