1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G2 - User feedback

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by elandel, Jul 3, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

Just made my decision to buy a G2. Found it new for 330 euro.
    Going to order tomorrow but want some user feedback because it seems hard to find something other than reviews (I don't believe much on riviews - read then but want user feedback) but I think that cameras are madeto take photos and not laboratory tests.

Can anyone who usees the G2 tell me something or must I wait for G3 or the new Olys (but they didn't impress me very much).

I already own a K5.

Thank you.

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Can't help you : I stick to a G1 for about the same reasons you mentioned.

I already own a D3x... so I guess it satisfies my megapixel glut:wink:

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks

5. jlake1234

jlake1234 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi

I bought a G2 in April. Note that I'm an amateur, not a pro.
    Added a 100-300mm lens for long shots.
    Nice camera, easy to use, reasonable EVF.
    Not too bad with noise - but above ISO 400, I'm not exactly impressed.
    ISO 1600 - noisy!

Have taken some very nice pics with it.

My decision was based on cost and on size. I wasn't sure that I'd haul around a Canon 60D or T3i (with articulating LCDs) simply due to their weight. That said, my other option would have been the T3i or something in that quality range.

Burst shooting is not as great as on a GH2 - don't know about the G3.

Have to rely on Pana/Oly lenses for now - Sigma is promising a m4/3 lineup. Or use adapters to mount 4/3 or other lenses.

Overall, a nice camera. It suits "my" needs at this point. No regrets at this point.

No in-body IS unfortunately, but the lens-based IS is pretty good.

Hope this helps.

c

• Like Like x 1
  6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.

There is another practical question I should like to know. If I go in Churches (whyich are not very bright inside) do you think I can get some reasonable shots OOC inside? I ask that because when I'm on holidays I love visiting Cathedrals or castles if there are anyone where I go.

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Any digital camera that has a good lens will give good church pics, IF you use camera's base iso, open aperture at least one stop. But must be able to secure against ANY movement, because of long shutter opening, No tripod? Brace against a pew, post, door frame, or other solid object. Go shoot and post!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jlake1234

jlake1234 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi

Key point is "good lens" (fast lens) as [snkenai] points out.
    I haven't tried my stock 14-42 in a church interior (i.e. cathedral) yet, but it doesn't perform all that well in darker interiors (i.e. normally lit halls etc ...) at ISO 100 or 200.

However, if you're using a tripod and remote shutter release, then even at slower shutter speeds, you should be able to get decent pics.

I'd be interested in seeing your results.

c

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'll not be using tripod because I want to travel as light as possible. As soon as my G2 arrives and go to shoot in Churches or similar places I'll post some pics. Hoping they come right.

In the meantime any help is welcome on how to set and use in the best way the incoming G2.

10. jlake1234

jlake1234 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Well, make sure you shoot RAW not just JPEG.
    Play with the camera/lens combo (you didn't say which lens you were getting) and check performance at various ISO settings.

You don't need a tripod - but you will need to stabilize the camera - so ... backs of pews, ledges etc ... and google "string tripod" - very portable.

just some thoughts.
    c

• Like Like x 1
  11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'll have the kit lens for now. Shooting raw is not my favourite because of pp that I hate but I'll try combo jpeg+raw.
    Is Panasonic's raw format dng or proprietary? The software that comes with the G2 is enough for little noise reducing or do I have to use something else?

12. jlake1234

jlake1234 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    RAW is not DNG.
    I use Adobe CS5 (and Adobe Camera Raw), so I have no problems opening its RAW files. In fact, most software should open the Panny raw files.
    However, it does come with s/ware - for the PC & Silkypix (mac & pc). I've not used the PC s/ware & only briefly used Silkypix. I prefer ACR - for NR & conversion.
    Silkypix is ok, but takes getting used to (for me).

c

13. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

You can covert your camera`s RW2 to DNS , with the free Adobe converter below.

It only takes a second or two per file and it can do an entire directory at once.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5024

14. I've had my G2 for about a year, and still think it's a great camera. At current prices, it's also a great deal.

I switched to the G2 from the much more widely-reviewed (and more expensive) E-P2, and wrote about my experiences here. I now have both the G2 and the GH2, but I use the G2 a lot, both as a second body with very similar handling and interaction, and as high-quality "snapshot" camera on tourism type trips. (That's the camera I chose to bring on vacation in Rio, where I am now.)

The new generation cameras (G3 and E-P3) appear to be faster & create superior images, so I'll eventually move on. For now, though, they both seem to be a significant step backwards from the G2's ergonomics.

15. jlake1234

jlake1234 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Just after I bought my G2, the G3 was announced. While on paper it has 'better' specs, I agree that the ergonomics were scaled back. The downside (for me) is the smaller size. I prefer a slightly larger camera (the G2 would be the smallest I would use).

c

16. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

I just love all the manual controls on the G2

• Like Like x 1
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well recieved the G2 and immediately loved it. So I think I'll stick ariund a while with it, maybe if GH3 comes around I'll trade my K5 for itr and keep my
    :smile:G2.

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The key to minimizing image noise in the G1 and G2 (and cameras sharing their sensor) is to avoid underexposing the image. Shooting RAW helps, of course. But many people still shoot jpgs. Make sure you don't underexpose and you'll be a lot happier.

• Like Like x 2
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've had great luck with monopods on the E-Px bodies.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Never used one, but maybe its time to do so. Is it big to take around and easy to use?