G2 Second Lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jfoco, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jfoco

jfoco Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010
    I am in the market for a second lens right now. I'm confused as to which one to get for the G2. I've narrowed down my choice to the 14mm and the 20mm. Any suggestions? My current lens is the 14-42mm that came with the G2 kit.
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    I hear the 14mm is great, but I only have the 20mm and I think it is a fantastic lens.
  3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I don't have the 14mm, but I wouldn't mind if I did. I do have the 20mm and it's a sharp, fast lens. I wish it had been a little wider, like 18mm, but Panasonic didn't ask me.

Personally, I suspect that you would enjoy either one, but you can't afford both at this time, so you're trying to figure out which one you would rather have.

If it were me facing this dilemma, I would probably buy the 20mm, for a couple of reasons.

1) Assuming you have the kit zoom, you have a slightly slow 14mm lens already. It's about a stop slower than the 14mm prime lens, and it's a bit larger since it's your kit zoom. But the one stop slower isn't that much, and unless you're photographing something that's moving, the zoom's Mega-OIS(I really wish that they had named their IS something else, leaving off the Mega) will make up for that stop. The 14mm f2.5 isn't stabilized, so if you're shooting in lower light, you haven't gained that much. The depth of field is slightly narrower, but not that much.

2) The 20mm is considerably faster at f1.7 than your kit zoom(or my kit zoom for that matter). That speed is nice not only for low light, but also for achieving that isolating effect that you get from having a narrow depth of field when the lens is wide open.

Obviously, the 20mm is not as wide as the 14mm, and if you like the wider angle view that the 14mm has, you should definitely ignore my comments in 1) and 2).

Hope this helps.