G2 RAW support

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by charliedid, Nov 19, 2011.

1. charliedid

charliedid New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi all,

New G2 user (formerly GF-1) and seems Lightroom 2 is not seeing these RAW files? I can download but get an error message and file extension .RW2

JPG files will open no problem.

Any helpful insight here? Never saw this with my GF-1. Seems a silly ? but could it be the card I am using? Only one I have and same as what I used with GF-1

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nothing to do with the card.... make sure your lightroom 2 is the latest version.

• Like Like x 1
  3. charliedid

charliedid New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2011
    Hey Kevin,

That worked just fine. Curious that a newer camera is not supported or do I have that wrong.

Anyway all is well.

Thanks Much

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I believe G2 support was added in LR 2.7. Adobe support generally arrives a month or two AFTER a camera is released.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I just did a quick Google search, and Lightroom 2.7 adds support for the G2:
    Lightroom 2.7 and Adobe Camera Raw 5.7 Now Available

You need to upgrade. The bright side is, it's free! If you got the software by, uh, "alternate means," then I recommend buying it; it's only $100 if you have anyone with access to a .edu email address, and is worth it in every respect, from automatic upload and organization, to development. Costs less than 2 tanks of gas, or a moderate date night.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. charliedid

charliedid New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2011
    Already did! Plan to upgrade to LR3 first of the year.

7. G2 RAW

I have a similar problem with my GH2. Neither Picasa, my filing and quickie modfications software, nor Photoshop CS4 can handle the GH2 RAW files correctly.

The solution is Adobe Digital Negative software (DNG), which you can get here:
    Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows. This software will convert your RAW (RW2 for the GH2, not sure about the G2) files into .dng files. DNG files should work fine with all of your software.

You can either run the DNG converter in a batch mode, which will convert a whole folder, or you can do the conversions one photo at a time. I know with Picasa, which can read the RW2 files but does not display them correctly, I can right click on single RW2 image and it will directly convertit into a DNG and save it in the same folder. I can then right click on the DNG file and open it directly with Photoshop.

This does add a small amount of work, but it isn't really much of a hassle. The DNG files are pretty large, usually 2x to 4x the RAW file, so if you take a lot of photos in RAW format and have a small hard drive, you may want to think about more storage.