1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G2 Raw Image size

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dersh, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dersh

dersh New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2011
    South Dakota
    Hey all, my first post.. :)

I have a G2 question, when I select raw+fine or raw, the raw images are always 1920x1440 and the jpgs are 4000x3000. I can't find a setting to give me full res RAW images. What am I doing wrong?

I have Aspect ratio set to 4:3 and picture size set to L.

Thanks,

dersh.

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    My raw images are always 3000x4000 pixels. That's shooting raw only or raw plus jpeg. When one of the jpeg options are chosen the size option becomes available, large, medium or small. Small is 3 megapixel which is 1920x1440 but this only affects the jpeg.

What application are you using to convert the raw files? It may be set to a smaller image than 12 MP.

Fred

3. dersh

dersh New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2011
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the reply Fred,

I don't have an "editor" just yet (usually don't do much post processing other than cropping and an occasional S-Curve), I've been viewing the images with IrfanView, Fast Picture Viewer 64, and/or FSViewer - all display my RAW images at the lower res. What should I expect for a file size ratio (jpg:rw2 in MBs)? Just checked a jpg:rw2 set of images, they're 4.19MB:13.6MB (the jpg is at full res).

Appreciate your help,

dersh.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My G2 RAW files are all in the neighborhood of 13.8 MB to 14.1 MB, give or take depending on the complexity of the scene I guess. So, your RAW files are the correct filesize. My RAW dimensions are 3000x4000, so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you're reading something incorrectly?

5. chris2470

chris2470 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    In FSViewer you will get to go to the settings, then RAW, view RAW in actual size. Or when using the viewer press A for actual size.

6. dersh

dersh New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2011
    South Dakota
    Attached is a screen capture (at work so don't have access to all of the viewers I have tried).

FYI... cr2 images work as I would expect them to. I really think there is an issue with my G2 and not the viewing software - hopefully it's just a setting, but I can't find it.

Thanks,

dersh.

Attached Files:

7. dersh

dersh New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2011
    South Dakota
    I stand corrected...

Had a friend stop by with a .cr2 file from his camera (xti...??) this afternoon, it was viewed on two of my Win 7 64b computers as a 3 mega-pixel image. On his Mac they show up at full res (10mp).

I downloaded some sample RAW images from on-line review sites, .cr2 files view at full res and just tried some downloaded .rw2 files but they view at 3Mp...??? What is up with my computers? (4 of them do this - all running Win 7 Pro 64b) 2 of the four computers have codecs from FastPictureViewer (v3.1).

Hope someone has an answer (other than buy a Mac - That is NOT a slam against Macs).

Thank you to all who have replied and are helping with this, it is very much appreciated on my end,

dersh.