1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G2 Owners looking to Upgrade to G5 --Wait

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ttan98, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    melbourne
    I am a proud owner of a G2 and I believe it is an excellent camera for what it can do and its limitations.

Owners of this camera will be looking to upgrade to a new model like the G5 which I believe is a worthy upgrade in many ways, too numerous to mention here.

My point is that G2 owners should wait a while before the upgrade, the reason being Panasonic allows their cameras' prices to drop after their release. The waiting period varies, say from 6 to 12mths. The evidence lies in 2 models, G2 and now GX1(that I know of), their prices to plummet after their release by more than at 25%. I would not be surprise that I can snap one up for less than $500 within 6 or more months from now.

I am waiting and I can still use my other cameras first for taking images in low light, eg. NEX3.

2. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Well, I was an early adapter to micro-4/3, having owned and used my G1 extensively since December of 2008. Yesterday evening the UPS truck dropped off my new G5 body. It's been nearly 4 years since I bought a new digital camera (though I've acquired a few more film cameras in the intervening years), I say why wait any longer, I've got images to create, dang it!

Regarding the old G1, it still works fine, it'll play a backup role and perhaps will be a hand-me-down camera to my grandson.

~Joe

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Not a bad strategy. The G2 is an underrated member of the Panny lineup, with more controls and better ergonomics than its successor the G3. Unless you really need the improved sensor of the G5 now, the G2 will continue to be a great primary camera.

• Like Like x 1