G2 or "new"?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tm3, Sep 26, 2011.

1. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    i've been looking closely at MFT format cameras (as well as the NEX5N, although it seems that operational quirks kill that system for me) and am attracted to the steep discounts now available on the G2. plus, it is possible to buy the body only which i see as a big plus as i would not be saddled with a lens that i probably would not use.

but, the sensor in the G2 is out performed by the GH2, G3, and new PENS.

is the G2 a practical choice or should i bite the bullet and go for one of the current top of the line cameras?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If it means you have enough money left over to buy a decent lens, then go for the G2.

Maybe think of something like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 or Lumix 20mm f/1.7 to start?

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would agree that it is a good time to buy the last generation models, both in Panasonic and Olympus. If you can make do with an add-on EVF option, rather than built-in, I would recommend that you also keep an eye open for discounted Olympus E-PL2 and Panasonic GF2s (especially with the nice 14mm prime kit).

Another option is the latest generation Olympus E-PM1. Only incremental improvements in IQ for the Oly generations, but a big step up in operational and AF speed in the latest releases, if this is important to you. I kinda like the idea of the E-PM1 as an entry into the m4/3 world.... if you decide you want to go with another system later, it can still serve as a very, very good compact. If you fall in love with m4/3, on the other hand, you can buy a future top of the line body, and the E-PM1 can still serve as your compact option, using the same lens, etc.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I was in the same position as you about a month ago. Definitely save your money on the camera body by getting the G2, and put that cash towards lenses. The 20mm is probably the best bang for your buck for a general walkaround lens, and the 45mm is a great new portrait lens that everyone is drooling over.

I actually picked up a 14-42 for $120 on this forum, to just have a decent quality midrange zoom for those sunny days when I'd want autofocus and the convenience of a zoom.

6. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    thanks, ned and jonathan.

now that is important info -- i had been wondering if less sensor + more lens would trump more sensor + less lens (great pic, btw).

as far as lenses i was thinking along the lines of the panny 20, oly 9-18 or panny 7-14, and then at some point adding something for macro and possibly the panny 100-300 and oly 12.

i could swing paying more for the camera to start but buying a lens that i would use as a paperweight just bugs me, plus i'm cheap (sometimes rationalized as "practical"). i could see getting the G2 and adding maybe an EPL2 as prices drop, resulting in more versatility than "just" a GH2 or EP3.

7. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    krugorg i really like that reasoning re the EPM1, but i would be tempted to toss in a little more and get the EPL3 as i think that i would like the tilt screen.

i have not held any of the new PENS -- is the PM1 really that much smaller than the EPL3 and EP3? is the operational interface of the PM1 significantly "crippled" relative to the other two (seems that there would be a lot of menu diving with the PM1)?

shnitz i assumed that selling the kit lens would be unlikely since there are so many of them. do many folks, like you, buy them separate from the camera?

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The E-PL3 and E-PM1 are the same height and width. The E-PL3 is deeper than the E-PM1, due to the tilt screen. It still feels like a small camera.

The E-P3 is slightly taller and a bit wider than the PL3 and PM1. It is the same depth as the E-PM1, so the E-PL3 is slightly fatter, again due to the tilt screen.

I have not yet used the E-PM1, but I understand that the UI has been simplified to make it easier to change modes, etc., with the reduced manual controls. I think it would work okay for me, since I am mostly running in A priority anyway. You would then use the dial to adjust that setting.

9. Sensor quality at low ISO

If the image quality at lower ISO is similar between the G2 and GH2.... and if you tend to shot at lower ISO, then the G2 would be a better buy.

On the GF-1/G2 I've limited my shooting to ISO 200, with an occasional image captured at ISO 400. Between the OIS or tripod the lower ISO have more or less been fine. Bit faster than the kodachrome days. Wishing at times for ISO 25 option.

If the bankroll permits. Consider the G2 today and maybe the hopefully soon to be released GFX-1 in the future. Assuming the GFX-1 has a G3 or better sensor you will have a "normal" body for use today and a "fast" body in the near/distant future. Only bummer may be needing to carry two different types of spare batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I fully satisfied with the IQ of the G2 for almost anything I'm likely to shoot. The real advantages of the GH2 for me are focus speed, a better EVF, and slightly more customizability. But given the very large difference in price, I think the G2 is a stellar purchase.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think the G2 is an excellent camera with a mediocre sensor, but the G3 is a mediocre camera with a very good sensor.

The GH2, on the other hand, is an excellent camera with an excellent sensor.

But I feel that excellent lens + mediocre sensor combo is better than mediocre lens + excellent sensor :)

12. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    sounds like i'm getting a consensus on optimizing lenses with maybe a bit less of a body -- guess i'll cross the NEX off the list :smile:

hmmm ... had planned on some tripod use but also some non tripod and non OIS. was thinking that i could probably use up to 800 ISO in the G2. i'll have to give this some more thought now.

13. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I'd get the G3. If you had said anything else but the G2, it might make sense to buy an old model to save money. But the G3 has a much better sensor and all the other advantages of the G2. I think it is most probably worth the extra money, depending on what kind of a price you can get it for.

14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    What makes the G3 mediocre?

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Do you shoot mostly RAW or Jpeg? A lot of people prefer the OOC Jpeg quality of the Olympus m4/3 cameras over the Panansonics (pre-G3 models at least), myself included.