G2 or GH1???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by demiro, Jan 17, 2011.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm thinking about picking up one of these on the used market. Is it safe to assume that the G2 is my best bet unless I really want to do the video thing and get a hackable GH1?

Seems like the G2 will be almost $100 cheaper.

Thanks for any opinions.
  2. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Unless you want the full 1080 video, then get the G2. The G2's 720 video I supposed to be pretty good though.
  3. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Man I would get the GH1. No question.
  4. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    I've owned both. If the G2 is cheaper and your sole focus is stills, I would definitely purchase it over the GH1. The final images between them are almost too identical to truly matter. However, the GH1 does retain more detail in higher ISOs if that's important to you. The G2 doesn't exhibit any banding, but there is more visible noise in images using higher ISO's.

If money's no option, get the GH1. I don't know where you're purchasing your G2 or how much it cost, but if you look around enough you can definitely find a GH1 right at a G2 price-point, if not cheaper.
  5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

G2 if you aren't focused on motion video. I've used both and the G2 is a very fine camera.
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, I went with the GH1. You were right; I did find it for less than the G2. Not hackabe, but the more I looked in to that the more I realized that it is probably not where I want to go.

I will shoot more stills than video with this camera, but video is the driving factor in the purchase, as my DSLR is not video-capable.

Now I just to have figure out which lenses to buy. 14-140 seems to be a no brainer; not sure what other options make sense.

Thanks for the feedback.
  7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The Gh1 for sure .. only thing is strap lugs :frown:
    Some Chinese assembled Gh1's have strap lugs that fall off, and warranty is not honored if second hand unless you have all orig. certificates.

A friend just got a second hand GH1 (2000 shots) an Hey lugs fell off after a week of use ... Panasonic refused to the repair (Here in Melbourne Aus) UNLESS he had ALL sales and orig. certificates.

And its well known that the GH1 had a problem but Pany's response is pretty lack lustre imo :frown: