G2 or GF1: which would you sell?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by elandel, Sep 28, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Next month I think I'll buy an Olympus E-pl2 because I need IBIS for my prime lens and because I like having two bodies from the two contenders: Panasonic and Olympus.

Well I love them both but sorryfully have to sell one of them: the question is which one?

My m4/3 gear is: G2 - GF1 - 20mm (it came with the GF1) 14-42 - 45-200; some other prime lens (Nikon - Pentax - Canon - Zenith - Cosina K mount) and the 35mm Olympus macro.

I'm really tearing apart for this decision. I know it seems a silly question but for me it's important.

I love my white GF1 but also love the G2 with it's articulating screen and viewfinder. I thing it all comes down to which is the clone of the E-pl2, I suppose.

Really need feedbacks on deciding.
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Although my preferred camera is the gf1, since your new camera is also a smallish one, I'd keep the G2 for handling the larger lenses, but also for the viewfinder and articulating screen.
    Good luck with your decision.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Buy the E-PL2 first and then decide. :smile:
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That was my original idea but I have to trade in one of them to get a discount on the E-pl2.:frown:
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Don't trade it. Sell it. Trades are usually far below the used market value. Make your decision and sell it here, or on eBay.
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    The GF1 is the logical choice - it shares more in terms of handling with the E-pl2, while the G2 has the articulating screen and viewfinder, which would both be a pretty big loss.
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd keep the GF1. It's a classic in it's own right. Panasonic has many SLR-style bodies, but only one GF1 style camera. If you need a decent EVF, just get the VF-2 for the E-PL2.
  8. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    GF1 would be a duplicate but the white Gf1 is just so good looking and nice to use at times. I try to sell mine many times but in the end I just kept it. I tried using a g2 in the stores but I feel the LCD screen is worse than gf1 and the evf is so so but better than nothing I guess.
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd sell the GF1 and keep the G2. The G2 handles large lenses better, has much better ergonomics and handling and a great EVF. The GF1 (despite being a classic) is more similar to the E-PL2 in form and function.
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Another vote for this logic. Seems pretty straightforward actually. These "help me make a choice" threads are usually not so easy to answer.
  11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    You're quite wright it's not easy to answer because it's really not easy to make a decision. What is difficult is that decisions have to be taken with reason but more often that contraddicts your heart or your gutts.
    It's a very easy decision if we look it that way like most of you say<. keep G2 and sell GF1 but...there is always a but, I love the GF1 especially white, but know it's a more rational decision to keep the G2 and sell it. I'm trying to convince myself about this.
    If I had a choise I would not sell anything and buy the E-pl2 so I would have 3 m4/3 bodies and 1 DSLR body - the K5.
    The only thing that keeps me from doing this is that I'm too young to die.:biggrin:
  12. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Having had both the GF2 and G2, I prefer the G2--and still have it.