1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G2 Live Histogram

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by vsiddhartha, Apr 18, 2011.

1. vsiddhartha

vsiddhartha Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    I was reading this article and it made me wonder...is the live histogram on my G2 single-channel (and if so, which one) or is it luminance? What about the blinking overexposed highlights...are those shown when any single channel clips, or does it just look at one channel?

I was thinking about running some tests of my own, but thought I'd check here first.

2. vsiddhartha

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ok, since no one piped up, I ran some tests using red, green, and blue construction paper. I'm by no means an expert, but here's what I found:

- The live histogram is luminance.
    - The blinking highlights only show when all three color channels are clipped (pure white).
    - It is possible for one channel to clip very badly without any evidence on the live histogram. For example, in an overexposed scene of approximately 1/3 green and 2/3 red, by area, the live histogram would show nothing anywhere close to the right side of the graph. Looking at the RGB histograms in playback showed that the red channel had clipped quite badly.

Interesting...don't rely too much on those live histograms to determine exposure compensation! Also, it's possible to have one, or even two, channels clip and you won't see any blinking highlights.

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I missed your post. You can find lots of information on histogram on the luminous landscape, but the more important to read is this one :

Settings for an Accurate Histogram

Cheers,

4. vsiddhartha

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks, that's a good article. So, is there nothing I can do if I'm shooting jpeg? Why doesn't Panny give you the option of an RGB live histogram if you want it? Would it really be that much more hardware intensive?

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    It's worse than that, actually : the live histogram, in all cases, is always based on the *processed* data displayed on the back LCD, no matter you shoot RAW or Jpeg. And no, there's nothing you can do about it. It would need a firmware rewrite only Panasonic can do.

Cheers,