1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G2 Lens Distortion

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Tinderbox (UK), Jul 18, 2011.

1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

How affective is the G2 built in lens distortion correction , I was just messing about in my kitchen and i took a couple of photo`s and when i viewed them back on my notebook , I noticed my refrigerator was bulging outwards, so i decided to see if i could correct it in photoshop which i only had to make a slight adjustment, it`s still not perfect.

I have a £45 Nikon L21 compact camera, so i took the same photo of my kitchen and the image is virtuously distortion free to my eyes.

If anybody has any comment on this, i would appreciate any help as i am just a beginner.

I have both pictures below , corrected on the left and un-corrected on the right.

EDIT : I was using the kit 14-42mm lens , at 14mm wide open and the images were jpg not raw.

distortion.

2. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Did you use your Coolpix from the same position on the floor? Did your Coolpix picture have the same field of view? I only ask because the Panny @ 14mm has a horizontal field of view of about 63 degrees, and, the Coolpix at its widest is about 47 degrees. So you are getting a wider view from the Panny. Dial the zoom up to about 20mm on the Panny to see if the results are similar to the Coolpix.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tinderbox (UK)

Yes, I totally agree the the G2 has a much wider view, I had to stand back another four feet to get the same view on the nikon , but is the distortion not supposed to be corrected automatically in jpg images on the G2, If i were to take a portrait photo at 14mm the distortion would be unacceptable, I dont want to have to correct my photo`s in photoshot.

EDIT : below is a comparison of the same image, straight from the G2 , JPEG and RAW , The distortion looks the same on both, where is the correction in the jpeg?

JPEG_RAW.

4. Any distortion correction that is applied to Micro 4/3 lenses is actually applied to the RAW file, and this correction is recognised by the majority of popular RAW editors. This correction also appears to be retained if you convert the RAW to a DNG.

A Micro 4/3 RAW is not a true, uncorrected, as recorded RAW file because the system was partially built around software correction of optics.

Also note that the correction that you made to the image above in Photoshop was for perspective distortion, not lens distortion (barrel or pincushion).

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    These samples don't show lens distortion. Therefore the camera has nothing to correct. The only ways to fix this are change your shooting position or fix in post.

Gordon

6. Tinderbox (UK)

So can the G2 not correct for automatically for perspective distortion? , Do Nikon camera`s correct automatically, I was looking at the D5100, I would prefer to have as close to perfect image straight out of the camera, rather than have to correct for it.

EDIT : It looks like the Nikon D5100 has the same problem, so how do i minimize the affect?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=38881904

Thanks for any help.

John.

7. Every camera on earth exhibits this effect when you are not shooting directly towards the plane of an object or series of objects. The only way around it is to use a specialized tilit-shift lens, which will need to be adjusted to correct the distortion before taking the image, or to correct it later using software.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tinderbox (UK)

Thanks a lot Luckypenguin , I am glad it`s not my camera that`s at fault :)

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Enjoy shooting with your camera and don't worry about future research or other things.

You have your camera NOW, you can shoot NOW and you can enjoy photography NOW.

You must only learn to change perspective.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The camera corrects LENS distortion (and VERY well from all the test reports), but can't do anything about perspective distortion relating to the angle of view and proximity of the subject to the lens - it just reports what it "sees".

Here is an article that describes perspective distortion with some examples:
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: Using the Lumix 20mm as portrait lens

To make a long story short, the answer is exactly what you did with your coolpix - stand back farther.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest.:thumbup:

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Need camera to stop fridge bulging! Help!

This thread is awesome!

:rofl: