G2 hacks - a question!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickfromlondon, Dec 20, 2011.

1. nickfromlondon

nickfromlondon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    Hello everyone,

After your brilliant help in a thread I recently started about the G2 v G3, I have decided to go for a cheap G2, not least because it has an external mic socket.

I have one question though, which I have not been able to answer in spite of hours online!

I would want to hack my G2 in order to remove the firmware time limit on recording. I simply haven't been able to confirm whether the available hack will work on the very latest versions of the G2. I get a sense that the latest versions are set up to prevent the hack being installed...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

All the best

2. Giant bubble guy

Giant bubble guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Hi Nick,

I've been lurking about the website of the guy that developed the g series hacks. According to him the newest G2's are unhackable. The thread I read that states this is here: G2 Hack Development - Personal View Talks

I'm hoping that he comes up with a hack for the G3 I have, but I'm not holding my breath. You may want to try and find a good quality older G2 to hack.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Consider this

On many of the models sold in Europe the time limitation was included to get around the additional tax imposed on camcorders. Versions sold in the US generally do not have the limitation.

On some models the limitation was imposed to address the image sensor heating that occurs after prolonged use. Defeating the limitation may lead to permanent damage that would void your warranty. Consider all possibilities before you do anything.

Happy Holidays!
  4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    The latest G2 bodies are indeed unhackable.