1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G2, GH1, G10. What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jim, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Ok first off, let me say I have searched for a similar topic so if this has been answered somewhere else, my apologies.

I'm thinking about getting another M4/3s camera. I have an Olympus EP-1, and I love it. Just thinking of the possibility of a Panasonic, mainly because of having a viewfinder and a built in flash. It would be used as well as my EP-1 not instead of.

Anyway to the point...

What are the major differences between these 3 cameras, G2, GH1 and G10. I've compared them all on the Panasonic website and I really can't see any differences, the only points I could find of any significance are that the GH1 only goes to ISO 3200 and the G10 has less pixels in the viewfinder.

Are they different sizes? Please any help would be appreciated, because it seems to me that Panasonic have 3 very equally spec'd cameras.

I'm sure there may well be big differences, but Panasonic don't make it obvious.

Thanks in advance

Jim

2. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
  3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The differences are there, and you'd have to read in more detail to find them. In a nutshell:

1. G10: The least featured camera of the bunch. Fixed LCD, lower-resolution EVF, low-end video.
    2. G2: The mid-size model, and the replacement for the G1. Tiltable LCD, touchscreen, high-resolution EVF, higher quality video (AVCHD Lite). Same sensor and processor as the G10.
    3. GH1: high-end model due to be replaced soon. No touchscreen, but tiltable LCD, high-resolution LCD, highest quality video, larger sensor to allow for constant angle-of-view photography, best IQ out of all MFT cameras out there.

If you spend some time on Panasonic's Lumix Global site (LUMIX G™ MICRO SYSTEM | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global) you can read all the details you'd want about these cameras.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Dragos,
    I hear ya about the G1 & G2 but I find a bid difference between those 2 cameras.
    The images are definitely different.
    It may be the processing engine but there's a difference.
    I think the G10 & G2 have differences in IQ also.
    I will try to get a G10 to compare against my G2.
    The G2 by the way, is wonderful, like a breath of fresh air.

5. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The processor is definitely different between the G1 and G2, and I noticed the difference in IQ as well. I prefer the G1 because it seems like the G2 has gone a bit overboard in processing. Others prefer the G2.

There shouldn't be any differences between the two cameras in IQ under the same conditions. AFAIK the difference between the two models is in features, not in actual image output. It's possible there's some undocumented difference between the two that would affect IQ. The GH1, for example, has a thinner AA filter than the G1 had, which definitely affected IQ, but it was a little-known change.

I felt the same way when I picked up my GH1. I'd been using the G1 for about a year prior to that, and I fell instantly in love with the GH1 the moment I opened the box and picked it up. I can't wait to see what comes out at Photokina in a few weeks.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Dragos,
    Thanks....

7. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    whats the general consensus about next months even? Are we expecting a new body with a larger sensor?

8. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    We may see at least one new body from Panasonic in the GH2/3 with what may be a larger sensor (16MP with a 14MP effective resolution, constant AOV) with improved sensor treatments (gapless microlenses, new processor, etc.) and more features (improved video, aspect ratio bracketing, perhaps EV bracketing for HDR, perhaps panorama sweep - these are features we've seen pop up in the latest releases from Panasonic in the LX5 and FZ100). We may also see a new compact body in the GF2/3 that could use the existing GH1 sensor.

I expect we'll also see something new from Olympus as well, perhaps in the shape of a MFT E-5 that also uses Panasonic's new larger sensor, maybe a lower end MFT to replace some of their other existing 4/3 line. They may also launch a new PEN as well.

In addition, there may be some surprises from Canon/Nikon in releasing a compact DSLR to compete with the mirrorless cameras while retaining the advantages of the OVF and their existing line of lenses. We may also see Sony's NEX-7 which would try to compete against the GH1.

9. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Well, a larger sensor with better iso performance would be wonderful ! How long does it take for a new model to get in the hands of the consumer after the announcement? I never really paid attention before, but now I'm curious

10. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It depends on camera models. I'd say two months is a decent average before new models like this are available in the US. They're available first in Japan. P&S cameras that are made by the millions are usually available pretty quickly.

11. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    The GH2 should be very interesting as it's the flagship.