G2 arrived!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My G2 arrived today. I realize it's not a GH1 or GH2 and I have gone and bought myself a sub-standard camera with an aging processor but I guess i'll just have to cope with my poor decision making. :eek:

The G2 is an early b-day present (my 50th) and my first impressions are...WOW. I absolutely LOVE the layout and the UI compared to the E-PL1. It suite me better. The size is what surprised me the most. It's a LOT smaller than I thought it would be. I was worried that it would be too big but my E-PL1 with the VF2 attached is not smaller in any significant way. Next up is the EVF vs the VF2. The Olympus F2 is considered to be the BEST EVF available for m43 and I think it deserves it's reputation. The EVF on the G2 tends to stutter a bit when zooming and lag a tiny bit where the VF2 sort of defocuses then refocuses...it appears that they are doing essentially the same thing but somehow its less noticeable on the E-PL1. I finally answered the question "do Panasonic lenses work better/faster on Panasonic bodies?". The answer is yes. The 20/1.7 focuses a lot faster on the G2. At first I would have said it was the same...then I switched back to the E-Pl1 and realized the difference was pretty big.

Overall I am very impressed with the G2. I haven't had a chance to check IQ thoroughly but in the few snaps I've done it looks to be as good or better than the E-PL1. The G2 does a bit better job with WB and to my eye the images look a bit sharper but it was hardly an extensive test. Much has been written about how much better the Olympus JPEGs are than the Panasonic...they don't look THAT different. The Olympus colors appear to be bumped up a might and warmer but it's not like night and day. It's more like night and a little later that same night.

My conclusion is that the G2 will be a good replacement for the E-PL1 and I'm glad I chose it instead of the E-PL2. Now, I'm off to find new homes for the E-PL1 and the VF2.

• Like Like x 3
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Have fun! Panasonic G2 is a very fine camera. I like mine :)
  3. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Good Choice

Most of the 'Olympus better jpeg than Panasonic' comes from the P&S brigade who take snap shots.

What I like about the G1/2/GH1/2 is the ability to change the film type and tweak it to get an almost Leica feel to the colours rather than the exaggerated P&S Olympus look.

Enjoy your camera with all of the easily accessible manual controls and the extras like the articulating screen.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I would second these remarks totally. The Panasonics are rich with the ability to tweak the WB, and with the film mode the amount of contrast, sharpness, and saturation. You can litterally fine tune it so that the images come out of the camera exactly as you want them. Pretty amazing. Enjoy the G2!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    So far I am very impressed. I was a bit reluctant as the G2 sure seems to be the forgotten camera of Panasonic's line so it was difficult finding much about it other than a few reviews but I had a hunch it would be a good fit.

FWIW, I don't dislike Olympus colors. I find them very pleasing. I've had 3 Olympus DSLRs and each time I recall them producing wonderful colors (the best of the three being the E500). Default Panasonic colors are not as pleasing OOC but they do appear more accurate...and as you have said there are a number of tweaks and settings that allow you quite a lot of customization. I don't have any complaints. However, the biggest improvement for me over the E-PL1 is the way you control the camera and how comfortable it is in the hand. It really is extraordinary how big the improvement is. What I find puzzling is that Olympus doesn't have a camera like this. It's not like they don't know how. The E-1 was one of the most comfortable DSLRs of it's time and is still coveted for it's ergonomics.
  6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you.
  7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I am glad it has reached you - speculation time is over, and you realize it's a great camera and the price is absurd. Enjoy!
    Wish my GH1 had that thumb wheel :frown:
  8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah it is a really great camera...then again so is your GH1. :smile: The thumbwheel however is pretty cool.
  9. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Goes for me as well, I love mine.

Have fun with yours.

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi dixeyk,

Don't be dissing your own g2! It's a really wonderful camera and you'll enjoy it no end.

I have a G1, use it constantly and probably won't upgrade that G1 until there is a truly major change in the technology. My µ43 kit includes the afore mentioned G1 and a GF1.

But, If you're concerned about having an orphan, I'll be happy to swap you the G1 for your G2....:wink:

Then you can proudly say you have an original µ43. No deal huh? That's what I thought.

Enjoy your camera, it's an excellent choice.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Was I dissing my G2? I was merely stating that I failed to get the GH1/GH2 and that I am fully aware of my lapse...:rofl:

Actually, I think the G2 is pretty great so far...and I think I'll pass on the trade. I don't want to deprive you of your joy.

12. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    In the beginning Panasonic did create the G1, a great joy did fall upon the earth. Mankind followed the light to a glorious new world, for they were the chosen ones. From the east wise men did bless the G1 with the glory of the superb JPEG engine and the 14-45 zoom. Some poor souls did stray from the calling, and they will spend eternity in the wilderness. Now, must format a memory card.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
  14. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Mick/Lumix you are too much - but I must admit to all the adoration you imply for my G1.
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Took a bit of time to go out in the nice weather with the G2. My short review is that I think the G2 is an outstanding camera. I am quite pleased with it and my biggest fears of missing the IQ from the E-PL1 has turned out to be...

...here are a couple with the 14-45...

I may not be as sophisticated as most here but I find the IQ of the G2 to not only be acceptable but FANTASTIC (even in JPEGs). The images it produces have a lovely quality that I don't recall every seeing on my E-PL1. I'm not knocking the Olympus mind you, it's a terrific camera but the quality of the G2 images has really knocked me out. They aren't the sharpest I've seen, and they are more noisy when pixel peeped but they just have a marvelous quality that I love. I'd say the lens was the reason but I used the 14-45 on my E-PL1 as well and I don't recall getting results like this. Much is made of the noise in the G1/G2 vs the GH1/GH2 and of course the Olympus Pens. Yes, they DO have more noise but it's not so far it has not been a problem for me. It seems easily removable in LR and I suspect it will be a non issue when printed. I'm sure I'll see it much more pronounced with lower light images but for now I'm happy.

Finally, the G2 absolutely shines in the handling department. Even if I wasn't as thrilled as I am with the images I have to say the handling alone would be worth it. It is simply a pleasure to use. The camera just gets out the way and lets you make images. My biggest gripes are that I tend to use it with the LCD turned toward the camera and my nose leaves a spot on it when I'm done and I wish the LCD we're a bit brighter. That said, I feel like I won the lottery.
    • Like Like x 5
  16. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Well said ! As a keen G1 user I know what you mean. Enjoy it, no more camera worries, your only concerns now are finding the subjects and hoping for good weather.
  17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

what do u mean by Point and shoot brigade? panasonic cameras dont stand anywhere near Olympus.I used highly over rated panasonic GH2 and it was horrible. I think panasonic pays u a hefty amount. Olympus EPL1 is a far better camera than G2 apart from the autofocus speed. But again if u are a pro and better photographer why u will use autofocus?
  18. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    I think , (hope !) I know what was meant by the comment you refer to Bhupinder. The Olympus JPEG's are known to have a bit more contrast than Panasonic JPEG,s. From comments that I have seen the Oly JPEG's may be liked by point & shoot users who are moving up to µ4/3 as the photos are more like what they are use too from their p&s camera. The Panasonic JPEG may be more neutral, and more true to life, but you can increase contrast and / or saturation, if you want the more "eye popping" look.
  19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    As someone that has both I can tell you from my perspective the Panasonic is better than the E-PL1 in more areas than just AF speed. The camera has wonderful ergonomics, great build quality and a terrific UI. IQ is in my opinion highly subjective. While I find the IQ from the E-PL1 very pleasing. The colors are a touch over saturated (and yes I suspect that look does tend to appeal to folks transitioning from point and shoot cameras). The Panasonic IQ is very neutral and some folks do not like that. I find that I prefer the IQ of the G2 over that of the E-PL1. Combine the neutral IQ and superb handling and I find the G2 a MUCH more enjoyable to use. Where the Olympus shines is that you can get really pleasing images right out of the camera without much tweaking. The default settings produce well exposed, sharp, punchy images. That's pretty much an Olympus trademark. I find the G2 (and I suspect all Panasonic's) require bit more tweaking of the settings to get similar results.

As far as why would anyone use AF...I have diminished sight in my dominant eye so I find that AF can be real helpful when I shoot. I also shoot MF but even with a VF2 that can get tiring.
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can understand your reaction to the comment about "P&S brigade", which was a bit sweeping and derogatory. The preference for Panasonic or Olympus JPEG processing is just that - a preference. Coming from 8 years of "DSLR brigade", I personally love my GH2, but I prefer the in-camera JPEG processing from Olympus to that of Panasonic.

The good thing about these cameras is that, as Mick said, they have very flexible settings. If the Olympus settings out of the box are too contrasty and saturated for someone's taste, they can be dialed down. If the Panasonic settings are a too flat, they can be punched up. It's not easy (maybe not even possible) for one to configure the color profile of an Oly to exactly match the native Panasonic or vice versa. In that regard, someone may prefer "Panasonic color" or "Olympus color", although it certainly is possible to customize the color profiles of each camera to a degree.

In terms of detail, I think there are a couple of factors. One is that the E-P1 and E-P2 use a bit stronger AA filter than the Panasonic cameras, so they give up a touch of sharpness in exchange for being less prone to aliasing. Second, the Oly JPEG engine does a little better job at pulling detail out of a file, although Panasonic has made some advances in this area with the G2/GF2/GH2. Personally, I think there is more than enough detail from all of these cameras' files such that these minor differences are a non-issue.
    • Like Like x 2