G2 and G10 differences?

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
I have been all over the place in the past week or so deciding between the GF1 and E-PL1 and now I found the G2 and G10 into the mix. I know they are not pocket cameras like the PL1 and GF1, but they might work for me. What are the major differences between the G2 and G10? do they both have the same video quality as the GF1?

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I have been all over the place in the past week or so deciding between the GF1 and E-PL1 and now I found the G2 and G10 into the mix. I know they are not pocket cameras like the PL1 and GF1, but they might work for me. What are the major differences between the G2 and G10? do they both have the same video quality as the GF1?

G2 has better video than GF1 with higher bitrate, especially now that the tester13 hack officially supports it. It also features mic socket - a must have for any camera capable of doing video. G10 video is not so good. Also if you once look through G2's gorgeous EVF, you will find the one in G10 to be pitiful. And that articulating screen is a joy to use in various awkward situations.

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not going to hack the G2 so why does the G2 have better video than the G10? it shows up exactly the same in both camera specs as 1280 x 720, 30fps.
60FPS only if you directly connect the G2 to an HDTV for playback.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I'm not going to hack the G2 so why does the G2 have better video than the G10? it shows up exactly the same in both camera specs as 1280 x 720, 30fps.
60FPS only if you directly connect the G2 to an HDTV for playback.

Because it also does AVCHD. G10 does only MJPEG which takes up card space really (and I mean REALLY REALLY) fast.

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
so basically it will take up card space faster but the video quality is the same?

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
No. MJPEG is less efficient and it has more issues with noise, especially at higher ISOs videos start to look as if they're composed of moving color squares. Think of highly compressed JPEG pictures, only moving.

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
sorry one more question. I saw someone write this:
E-P2: full manual video
GF1: no full manual video
So I assume E-PL1 also has full manual video. What does this really mean? You can't change the ISO before or during filming on the GF1? is this the same for the G2?

jackc866

Mu-43 Rookie
I went through that whole thing. After seeing footage friends were getting out of the GF1, I had to have it. I primarily shoot video, and because of that, I ended up getting the G2. I'm happy with it. You can shoot video in any (P,S,A,M) mode. And in the video mode, you can adjust the aperture. It's sad to say, but that iA auto-thing, 90% of the time, does better than what I can dial in. Dummy proof.
I'd recommend finding one that comes with the 20mm pancake lens. I'm not sure if they sell them like that (think they do). But everyone (including me) seems to break down and get one. The lens is $300, so if you can get a kit that has one (instead of the other lens), you'll probably save money in the long run. It takes a while to get used to the depth of field, but it looks great, and is simply amazing in low-low light.
The ability to have an external mic source was another big selling point for me. Ive read mix reviews on the stereo Panasonic mic that's made for it. But I have it, and I'm very happy with it as well. (I leave the wind reduction off, I think the bad reviews come from people who leave it on). Then again, the internal mic isn't bad either.
Also, heads up... I've noticed these cameras are simply unforgiving of camera movement. You'll need to get steady. Use a tripod or try one of these: hague mmc items - Get great deals on items on eBay.com!
More research you may want to consider... How do you plan to edit the video? AVCHD-lite can be a pain if you don't have something that can handle it. iMovie likes it. Premiere CS5 and Final Cut Studio works well with it. I'm not sure about other programs.
The above is mostly opinion from someone who is definitely not an expert. So do your homework.
Good luck.

jackc866

Mu-43 Rookie
Also, I have the fastest 32gb SD card I could find. I have my video on the highest HD AVCHD-lite setting. I think I'm able to shoot something like, over 3 hours of video. Totally happy with that.

jackc866

Mu-43 Rookie
Also, if you have the money (which I don't) the GH2 is obviously the way to go, for many reasons.

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
Jack thanks for the info. I can get a GH1 or G2 with 14-42mm lens at the same price. Which one would you suggest? I have the CS5 suite so will be using Premiere and After effects for my video mode. I'm just a bit iffy on the size of the camera. The Olympus seems smaller and better to carry around but the video isn't as good as the G2/GH1.

jackc866

Mu-43 Rookie
That's a good question. It looks like GH1 shoots 1080p AVCHD Vs. G2 720 AVCHD-lite.?. I'm not qualified to say. I'm curious to hear what others will recommend. I'd love to the actual side-by-side comparison of the footage. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
I bought the GH1 as I got it cheaper than the G2 :) Which SDHC card do you recommend? would the SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance Memory Card work?

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks, my head was going to explode from all the reading about cameras but I found out I get a major discount through my work and Panasonic had a special bundle deal on GH1 that I couldn't pass on.

Latest threads

Top Bottom