1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G2/5D Mk1 prints comparison

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JimRead, May 31, 2014.

1. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello all

I'd bought the G2 and was using it more and more so I decided to do a comparison. I made 4 images, 2 of some bookshelves and 2 in the countryside. I used a tripod and just swapped the cameras over the get the same viewpoint for each of the 2 scenes. I used the Canon 50mm f1.8 on the 5D and the 14-45 set at 25mm on the G2.

Then I bought 4 12" x 18" glossy prints and expected that the 5D would beat the G2 hollow. I was very surprised at the results the prints are indistinguishable.

I sold the 5D recently bit sad to see it go I suppose but then the G2 is so much easier to use.

Cheers - Jim

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jim
    Thanks a lot for this thread. You will be surprised that printed photos even look more impressive rather than when you just see them on monitor . The technology has progressed a lot in the last few years and small cameras are impressive theses days . There is no need to lug around 5 kg of cameras and lenses to make good photos . The next revolution will shift more on software based technology which can be operated from ur phone or tablet or probably inbuilt processor which can upgrade ur ISO capabilities etc thro a paid app etc . The bigger cameras appeal to people with big ego or old schools of though which is still stuck at the idea of bigger is better or some bunch of pro photographers for specific needs. I can't imagine myself running around with big black grips when cameras like G2 am give u the same results .
    Cheers

3. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello Bhupinder,

Thanks for the comments interesting isn't it about the sensor sizes and the quality of the images from them. I was surprised by a Casio QV-4000 4.0 MP when I got some lovely 12" x 8" prints from it, I used the camera for many years, still got it, and it still works fine. I was then seduced into the FF with the 5D but soon realised how poor the controls were and only being able to shoot from a standing or kneeling position. The G2 with the tilt and swivel screen is the most versatile camera configuration I've ever come across, not mention the weight :)

Recently I bought a Panasonic G6 which I am now going to sell and will continue to use my G2. I did consider an Olympus thingy but when I found out the LCD screen was only tilt and not swivel I thought 'allo! 'allo! that's useless.

Cheers - Jim

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There are lots of print comparisons of u43 vs full frame. This is a very good one:

http://www.thewanderinglensman.com/2014/02/the-practical-difference-part-2-between.html

The general conclusion is that even for large prints, there is no IQ difference between FF and u43. There might be other differences of course (DOF, high ISO etc), but not IQ at reasonable ISOs.

Dennis Mook (the article's author) concluded by saying this:

My conclusion? For most photographers and for most purposes, one can use a M4/3 system in lieu of an APS-C or full frame system and be confident that, under most circumstances (probably not racing or sports or the extreme ISO imagery, but the gap is closely with every new camera introduced) your images will meet your expectations and needs. You can save money to buy additional gear, save your shoulder and back with the reduced weight as well as get everything into your airplane carry-on bag much more easily.​

I guess that sums up why most of us hang around here!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I totally agree with u Paul and software these days can do amazing jobs . Nikon and Canon pump millions of dollars into marketing and are quite aggressive ; where as Olympus and Panasonic haven't done enough to market it . I bought a six month old EP5 at a thro away price with 400 actuations and user had no clue what MFT is . When I asked what are u gonna buy ? The typical answer was Canon 5DM3 or Nikon D800E as they are ultimate machines and they take better pictures than this one :confused:okay ... I had my iPad with me and I showed him my shots with EM5 and then showed him Sergei's wedding photo thread. He was shocked but again came reply" I am not a professional photographer but I need a better camera which takes better pics than my X friend " Now we can't change this mind set . The guy had no idea at all about what photographer is and all he knows is Nikon and Canon .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello both,

Very interesting replies and I can understand people buying Canon and Nikon not only because they are the cameras to own but also because of the snob angle (I've got a lot of money). Though they are both below Leica in this respect.

I can see it happening here as well the difference between the Olympus and Panasonic threads is almost 3 to 1 and presumably the ownership. And yet the differences between the image files is minimal (as you state above). And from a personal point of view the Olympus cameras are let down completely by the tilt only screen. Is the answer that the Olympus cameras are more expensive than the Panasonic ones and are therefore considered better.

Cheers - Jim

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Jim - I know what you're saying about the articulating screen on the Panasonic cameras, but for me (and many others I suspect), the lack of this on Oly cameras is not a deal breaker. The IBIS and styling of Oly cameras on the other hand is what draws me to them. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking Panasonic cameras; I recently post-processed some G5 files and was very favourably impressed with them. I also really like the GX7 format - a rangefinder in style but with an EVF. I wish Oly would do this with their Pens. I also 100% accept that the output from Panasonic cameras will be no worse than from Oly cameras. I'll also accept that, arguably, Panasonic cameras are probably better designed ergonomically (body shape and menu system).

However, each to their own - so long as we enjoy the gear and get great results, who cares!

However, I'm an Oly man!

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I've shot a G2 since 2010, it's served me well. However it is a bit dated and ISO performance is not up to par past 400 which I think was it's biggest weakness. Base ISO images are superb. I shoot with G5s now and am very happy. Too bad about the G6, that is a superior camera in every way but if you don't bond with it, go with what feels good I guess.