G10 with 35mm CCTV lens and 20mm lens

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by jerfo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jerfo

jerfo Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    I recently purchased the Panasonic 20mm lens and the Fujian 35mm CCTV lens and decided to do a very quick video test on each of them. The first half of the video was made with the Fujian, with the aperture wide open. I guessed incorrectly at the focus, so I'm a little out of focus the entire time. (What was I doing? You'll just have to watch to find out.) In the second half of the video, I used the 20mm lens with auto-focus enabled. You can see it hunt for focus the entire time, which ended up being quite distracting.

The audio came from a M/S pair of mics elsewhere in the room and not from the G10.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1urDm9UfU]‪Not Bad for a Guitarist - Two Drum Solos‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Thanks, very interesting.

Obviously the hunting is distracting, but you could avoid that by simply using MF (like you have to do with the Fujian anyway).

But I'm more interested in the field of view and subject isolation of the longer lens, which I think makes for a much more pleasing video. I've ordered this lens too and am waiting for it, and you video now makes me very eager to try it!!!

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the shallow dof of the fujian is cool and I agree with the above that I prefer the fov of the first clip. The crispness (and contrast) of the 20mm is hard to beat, though. Interesting comparison. Looks like they are both great lenses for video (as long as you disable auto focus).
  4. jerfo

jerfo Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    Agreed, and agreed! I went into this test expecting that the 20mm lens would blow everything out of the water, but there's something pleasing about the depth of field and softness of the Fujian in this video.

For a point of comparison, here's a similarly themed video taken with the G10 and a no-name 25mm f1.2 CCTV lens:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWC97OsipI]‪Turbation Exercises - Exercise 11‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]