1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G1 ??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mnhoj, Jun 25, 2012.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'm looking for a cheap backup for my G3.

How does the G1 compare to the later 12mp bodies I've been considering? Like the PL2, PM1, and GF3 in regards to dynamic range and high ISO.

I shoot RAW so jpeg color/AWB is really not too important.

One thing I noticed is that there is no rear thumb dial. I really like the magnify feature on the G3. How does the G1 accomplish this if at all?

Any other considerations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Thumb wheel is on the front of the G1, where it's manipulated by the index finger I don't recall whether it as magnify function but easy to download PDF of user manual and check.

EDIT: I checked the manual..yes, it does have MF Assist function.

Note that G1 does not have any movie mode at all.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    My impression has always been that the G1, properly exposed, is cleaner than the Olympuses at high ISO. I don't think you're losing anything in terms of RAW image quality.

DH

4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks guys.

I'm having trouble interpreting the reviews as most of them are over three years old. It seems at that time overall responsiveness and AF speed were pretty good. Viewfinder seems pretty good on paper. Rear LCD has a decent amount of pixels. Lots of external control. Seems to be a pretty good value.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    One suggestion: go on Flickr and look up the group called Panasonic Lumix G1. You'll find examples of the work of the 827 members of the group. Some pretty nice stuff! As a first entry into μ43, I believe it's a good choice.it was my second μ43 after the GF1.

6. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I have two G1 bodies, and still use them almost every day. So long as you don't need movie mode the G1 has everything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I use a G1 and couldn't be happier. I do not go over ISO 800 though, it gets really grainy. But, the ergonomics and the feel is something I really like on the G1. I had a GF-1 with the LVF-1 for a short period and it came nowhere close to G1 (my hands are big). The LVF-1 was way too uncomfortable as it was small.

The G1 is a very good value for money. Most of the controls are on the camera, so I don't find myself digging into the menu that much. The thing that might irritate you is that the magnified view is not picture-in-picture. But, I usually choose an area and then magnify.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to help you out with answers.