G1 with 14-42 - no focus mode

freakout

New to Mu-43
Hi,
i just have bought a used Lumix G1 with a 3.5-5.6/14-42mm from two different sellers at eBay. Everything seems working Ok, but i cannot use manual focussing. The whole focus mode dial (turn knob on left side top - with AFS AFC and MF settings) seems to have no function at all. When i turn it to different positions, there is no reaction, not in focus mode and not on the display - it just does nothing. Also tuning the focus ring on the lens does nothing. The AF+MF mode also is not working. Is the camera (the mode knob) or the lens defect? With a Nikon-Adapter and a NIKKOR-lens manual focussing works - even with the magnifcation assist help. I have completely reset the camera - no working focus mode. Please help. Thanks. I have firmware 1.5 (G1) and 1.0 (14-42).
Axel

Danny_Two

Mu-43 Regular
Doesn't sound good. In AFS or AFC mode you should get the metering box on the screen and depressing the shutter button half way will focus. In MF mode the camera should go into a close up mode for manual focus when you turn the lens ring.

Is there anyway you can get another m43 lens to try?

tam

Mu-43 Regular
AF+MF mode should be half-press to AF, then with the shutter held at half press, turn the focus ring to focus.

freakout

New to Mu-43
I get the metering box and the lens focusses in AFS and AFC mode.
I cannot feel any difference between AFS and AFC - it just focusses on half-press 1 time.
With MF i still see the metering box and the whole camera behaviour is like AFS/AFC.
Nothing happens when i turn the lens ring.
I will try to check with another lens in a store tomorrow.

tam

Mu-43 Regular
Have you set it to auto-zoom when you MF? Should make it more obvious what you're doing.

AFC will only appear different if the subject moves closer/further whilst you half-press - it will stay in focus.

freakout

New to Mu-43
Today i tested the body with other lenses in a shop - same with all lenses - no manual focus at all - not with the switch - and not with AF+MF mode - nor with touching the lenses focus ring. Seems the body is broken. Tried to reflash the firmware, but it refuses to reflash older or same version - it's already 1.5. Any other idea?

tam

Mu-43 Regular
Sounds silly, but are you sure you're checking it correctly? Did you check you can MF correctly on a different body?

With a lens on, set to MF (on lens and body) press left then select to zoom in, then try and adjust focus - you have to turn the ring quite far to see an effect.

freakout

New to Mu-43
Yes i checked with different body - works. Set body to MF (_NO_ reaction on the screen at all - press left and see autofocus mode menu selection - not the MF assist. Turning the focus ring has no effect at all - pressing shutter halfway still autofocusses. It seems the MF setting has no effect at all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom