G1 Wierdness, anybody ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GaryCh, Apr 26, 2010.

1. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    2 months in and I'm getting glitches.

1. Quite often when I turn on the G1 I get the message "mode dial is not in the proper position" ... a gentle tap on the top of the dial usualy makes the message disappear, otherwise I have to rotate the dial at least a third of a click.

I was guessing a poor contact in the dial switch... but theres also a chance it could be a desynch between the indicated position and the expected position (firmware issue). Has anyone else seen this ?

2. Sometimes I also get "check the lens is attached correctly" ... at first I thought I was slightly touching the lens release button, but after a precautionary change of grip it is still happening.

So, two bad-switch issues at the same time ? A common component ? A firmware issue ? Just concidentally noisy switches ? I have no idea, but it is bugging me. They both first occurred on the same day.

Only had the camera since the beginning of March so I could probably get the body changed... I certainly don't want it swapped out for a reconditioned one though.

- firmware is 1.4.1
    - lens error occurs on both 14-45 and 45-200.
    - mode dial error occurs in any position but only ever at power on and never after.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this ? Anything you guys can think to try ? Had dealings with panny support replacing bodies ?

Any info or ideas welcomed.

-Gary

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    two G1's here and no problems......

3. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I've had the lens related error a couple of times with the 45-200. None of the other issues though.

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The only time I get the lens warning is when I accidentally touch the lock up button or somehow move the lens barrel around a bit. Never anything else so far... and our cameras are the same age.

Creepy though. Don't like to hear of this.

Bokeh D

5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    G1 over a year and 10K + actuations here, no such problem.
    I would have the body exchanged if I were you !

C U
    Rafael

6. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I've been onto the retailer and they've agreed to swap the body for me so I'll be doing that this morning. The new body will be from stock : )

Yay!

And once again, all is sunny in the lumix garden : ))))

-Gary

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hmm, that used to be me every single time I picked up the camera, AND I'd change the EV-comp accidentally too!
    Try setting the menu to accept shooting with no lens : then I think it ignores the lens release button ...

Never seen the mode dial problem.

8. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Aaaargh!

No, it has to go off to panasonic. They say it takes about 4 weeks but it depends on how busy Panasonic are ... that could easily translate to 6 weeks.

How the heck will I cope without a camera for 4+ weeks : (

:mad:

-Gary