G1 vs GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by FetterSteve, Oct 22, 2011.

1. FetterSteve

FetterSteve New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2011
    Hi Folk,

Just getting into the m4/3 thing after being a point a shooter and got myself a GF2 and very nice it is too.
    Thing is I wear varifocal glasses and find myself with a crick in my neck trying to compose at arms length and see through the correct part of my glasses now that I am paying more attention to composing the picture rather than just shooting.
    Question is, would I be better with the viewfinder on a G1/2/3. I think the movable screen might help too as hold it at chest height and looking down would be a perfect angle.

Sound like I'm already talking myself into it :smile: but would appreciate other views.

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, I think you answered your own question. If holding out the camera is not comfortable, time to look at alternatives =)
  3. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I have a G1, and LOVE the viewfinder! I can adjust it so that my uncorrected eye can see through it perfectly.
  4. FetterSteve

FetterSteve New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2011
    Yeah, bit of a no brainer really when I can get a G1 Body for less than the price of an add on viewfinder.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have both G2 and a GF2 and as much as I like the GF2 (it's a nice camera) unless I need the smaller size of the GF2 I'll grab the G2 every time. Not only is the EVF a real pleasure to use but the handling of the G2 is light years better than any other m43 camera I've had and/or used (E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2, G2 and GF2).

It takes a pretty good picture too.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...and the Panasonic LVF viewfinder is not very good. It's only 202,000 dots in resolution, as opposed to the 1.44 million dots of the Panasonic G-series or the Olympus VF-2 viewfinders.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I had an LVF1 for a bit and while it's not as bad as some folks make it out to be. It isn't as nice as the built in EVF on the G series or the Olympus VF2. My main complaint about it however was that the image you are looking at in the viewfinder is small I think that the resolution is not so much of a problem but the small image is a bit tiring on the eyes. I am hoping the rumored LVF2 (that supposedly has the same resolution as the VF2) will be both reasonably priced and work with the GF2.
  8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You could always just get yourself the DMW-LVF1 viewfinder for your GF2, and not have to invest in a new body, but it does cost $150 and not work as well as the built-in finders, so if you can get more than that for your GF2 and don't mind the size, you may as well just upgrade.

Depending on what you find on your local Classifieds, it may be better to just step up to a G2 or G3. The G2 is identical to the G1, just with more features and better ergonomics. They took all the complaints of the G1 and repackaged the camera, to be what the G1 should have been. This made it not sell well, since the G1 users had no reason to upgrade, but in hindsight it makes the G2 a great buy for those looking for a viewfinder-equipped body. On sale right now for $300, plus an extra $100 off whichever lens you want, which makes the 20mm or 14-45mm very tempting.

If you want to step up in sensor performance, the G3 is available at Fry's with 14-42mm kit lens for $500. For the G3, they stripped off some controls of the G2 to make it smaller and added a better sensor. So, if you're someone that like controls on the camera, without having to adjust settings through a touchscreen, you may want to skip this. Also, f you have a 14-42mm lens already, you may not want to invest in this kit.
    But, it claims that the GH2 kit is on sale for $700? That may be a steal, effectively getting a GH2 body for $500.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, that's the same sort of thing that Olympus did with the VF-3. They reduced the number of dots but rather than reducing the fine resolution they reduced the size of the viewfinder a bit. The VF-2 is 1.44 million dots and 1.15x, while the VF-3 is 906k dots but only 1.00x. That should keep the resolution per area the same, but give you a smaller image. Some people have reported poor image quality out of the VF-3 though, so I'm not so sure how well it works.

The VF-3 went the way of the LVF-1, while the LVF-2 may go the way of the VF-2. ;) Funny how they always copy each other, eh?
  10. FetterSteve

FetterSteve New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

The G1 body is ordered so I think the GF2 will be my P & S for now and use the G1 when I want to be a bit more creative.
  11. FetterSteve

FetterSteve New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2011
    G1 body arrived today :smile:

No battery or Charger:mad:

My fault for not reading the Auction properly.

Have to wait now until I can get them. Very frustrating