G1 vs GF1 metering

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kytra, Apr 18, 2011.

1. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Sometimes, I have seen that my GF1 underexposes heavily no matter the metering or shooting mode (PAS). In the same situation, with the same lens (20mm), the G1 performed flawlessly.

Has anyone seen this?

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    No reason both have the same choice of metering patterns

Pick a clear sunny day and with a tripod shoot the same scene with each camera.
    Adjust exposure manually with the G1 and shoot each one with the same shutter speed and f stop
    Compare the results.

3. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    It is strange, right now I am observing a meeting of my sales team and trying to take some pics with the GF1, I have seen that no matter what I tried in terms of settings, it kept underexposing. As soon I switched the lens to the G1, the metering was spot on. It is not the first time that happened, sometimes it was solved by switching the GF1 on and off (maybe it has a windows FW :)). I was curious if someone else ever experienced the same behaviour.

4. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    If you've got a G1 that meters flawlessly, it's a freak. Most of them consistently underexpose slightly, in precisely the same manner as the GF1 typically does. They're both quite good at metering, but not flawless. As earlier indicated, there is little apart from cosmetic differences between the two cameras. My advice would be to reset the factory defaults and try again. If the GF1 stills shows markedly different results, it's probably faulty. My hunch is that the conditions were not as similar as you described. Perhaps go out on a cloudy day when the angle of the sun is not a significant factor.

5. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks for your opinion. Maybe, I will try in more controlled conditions. Flawless should be read "so I like the results"

6. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Hi kytra, how are you evaluating the underexposure?
    What metering mode are you in?
    Can't say I have any issues like you are experiencing, with my GF1, I usually have up to -2/3 exposure compensation to prevent blown highlights + use the histogram (ETTR).
    Set multiple exposure over a range (7 +2/3) and see what you get, mine comes out as I expect them to.
    Have you another lens besides the 20mm you can try?
    Have you got any exposure compensation dialed in?

so much to do, so little time to do it in..........

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    all other settings EXACTLY the same?

Film mode can dramatically effect the exposure. White balance can change the appearance of the image to suggest exposure differences.