G1 to G5 or G6 or O-MD E-M10 or something else?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WESO, Mar 5, 2014.

1. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi all,

My 1st post!, been following the forum for a few months now. Came across the micro 4/3rds system by chance a year ago by virtual of buying a used G1 with 14-45 zoom. Happy with it to extent that I have acquired a 2nd G1 body. Did not specifically seek out the micro system it just happened by chance... Usage originally was just children and family etc. This has now evolved to becoming a soccer dad to my 10 year old son. Was previously a keen action photographer in a previous life with Canon film cameras. Soon found myself wanting to shoot my sons soccer so a used 45 - 200 panasonic zoom was purchased. Also a 14 -42 Panasonic zoom came with the 2nd G1 body. Have also bought a used GF1 body as a plaything...
    Now I find myself shooting from the touchline every weekend and a ready market for my generally 8 x 6 prints, sometimes 8 x 10 amongst the mums and dads on the touchline.
    The above system was assembled on a shoestring budget. I am now in a position to progress up a level or 2. I at this stage only shoot in jpeg and use simple built in to my windows 8 photo editing software to crop etc.
    I know the G series has evolved and I suspect with the increased resolution and hopefully faster AF and better processing engines then either a G5 or G6 would offer a step up in quality?
    The 45-200 (the costliest purchase amongst my system) suits the size of pitch the youngsters play on and I can cover most action with just the one lens,

I have a budget to buy a new G5 body or G6 and could possibly go to a O-MD E-M10 when available in the UK.
    Have noticed that a new G5 in the UK at least is increasingly difficult to buy body only and with the old 14-42 is around £289. The G6 body only is circa £429. UK prices for the E-M 10 body only on launch are circa £529.

I am well aware that my system is not particularly suited to soccer photography in theory but through trial and error and the basic AF speed lock on ability I am satisfied with the number of keepers I get. Given the relatively slow pace of the youngsters it copes with most shots and rarely do I actually utilize CAF although I am set up with it.

A better EVF and faster burst speed would be useful, but the best AF possible would be essential if I invest any more in my system.

I particularly like the range of the 45-200 in one lens and is ideal for me and quality is good enough given the size of my prints and modest cropping involved.

Also aware of the costs involved if I jumped ship to a DSLR to replicate it's range.

Given the G5 is disappearing from shops seemingly leaving just the G6 and GH3 and the soon to arrive GH4 is this a significiant move upmarket by Pani or are we just between model announcements. Hopefully some of the features of the GH4 will filter down to what?

All thoughts welcome and sorry for such a long 1st post..

Thank you

Mark:smile:

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The G5 is a great camera for the price. Personally I don't think the extra features on the G6 justify the price difference for most people. If you like the G1 you should be happy with the G5.

The E-M10 will give you a bit better image quality, but the difference between the G5 and the E-M10 won't be as big as the difference between the G1 and either camera. The E-M10 will give cleaner images at higher ISO, which can be useful for action shots though.

Personally I'd get a G5, and then use the savings to buy software like Lightroom and take adavantage of being able to shoot in RAW + Jpeg. And maybe saving to buy a 100-300 lens at some point.

3. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Many thanks for the swift response,

"The E-M10 will give you a bit better image quality, but the difference between the G5 and the E-M10 won't be as big as the difference between the G1 and either camera"

Your above sentence has so simply clarified my buying puzzle, thanks for bringing such clarity to my long post... Many thanks:smile:

All thoughts most welcome!

Mark

4. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    This is kind of trivial, but my husband sold his G5 and bought an E-M1 almost exclusively because of that little multi-function dial on the G5. It drove him crazy. At least for him, the two dial setup on the Olympus is much easier to use.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you use the viewfinder and appreciate the shape then a new G5 kit is unbelievably cheap right now, with basically the GH2's old sensor and decent internal processing and better autofocus.
    The step up to serious performance comes with the GH3 and that's pricey.

The fly in the ointment is how bloomin' good the cheap Olympus bodies are.
    I would put this little e-pM2 (or e-pL5) against a G5 any day and expect the same focus speed, better resolution (despite same mpx) and better/more reliable colours.
    The downside is compact handling and no built-in viewfinder.
    If you are using the LCD for framing you might consider one, the special offer kits are a great deal with a free lens ... if you can find one, or buy second-hand.

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Say it with me "Ergonomics". Go find them in a shop and hold them. They are not all the same shape and if you get one that feels wrong in your hand you are going to be reminded of that every time you pick it up.

IQ today is so close on the recent bodies that is unlikely to be a key factor in satisfaction.

Do you want two control dials? that's the EM10. The G6 has a sliding switch on the top that functions like the second dial, but it does have a different feel.
    Do you want a fully articulated screen? That's the G family.
    Do you want Wifi? That rules out the G5.
    Interested in focus peaking? That rules out the G5.
    Time lapse? Again, not on the G5 and limited on the EM10
    In body stabilization? EM10 only in this set.

People keep saying that there isn't much difference between the G5 and G6, but they are looking only at the sensor. There are many feature differences, which you may or may not care about,

Look around for a comparison in focus speed between them. The G6 amazes me, but I haven't used the other ones.

The GH4 features are unlikely to appear in any down market Pany camera for years, so don't hold your breath on that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree with that . I started with a G1 and loved the ergonomics. I only switched to a GH2 a year ago because I didn't like the SD card being shared in with the battery slot on the later G models. Only thing that annoys me now is the use of a Thumb wheel instead of a Finger wheel. I think I will move to the GX7 next as I am not much of a videographer but I wont before I have the chance to go somewhere and hold it 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. Am likely to wait untl the EM10 hits the shelfs in the UK. A quick phone round various suppliers this a.m indicates that none of them have received stocks as yet with uncertain indications that some of them will be getting black kits only (ie not body only)
    In addition to this stocks of the Pani G5 have virtually dried up and what is left only available as kits. The G6 is freely available but little evidence of meaningful discounting.
    Relistically a new or used G5 or G6 or the EM10 is going to be a significiant improvement on my existing kit.

Wifi would be nice but not a deal breaker, faster burst speed, better EVF and the most important concern for me AF continuous speed.
    The fact that i cope with a couple of G1's possibly indicates i am worrying unnecercerily...

Most reviews of the G5 and to a lesser extent the G6 seem to indicate that Continuous AF is of little use beyond walking pace, other reviews on CSC's in general barely touch on the subject beyond virtually instant one shot AF etc.

Given my technique of relatively slow youngsters and quick instant AF with a quick burst (G1!) allows me to capture most shots.

Would be curious to know if anyone things the AF performance on a EM10 or 5 for that matter is any better than the G5 or 6

Am i correct there is nothing approaching a full review of the EM10 on the net yet, just previews and 1st look type etc.

PS GH3 now available circa £720 in the uk, video qualities would be wasted on me, and i suspect AF comparable to G5/6 but pro build quality etc etc.

Thanks in advance all

Mark

9. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    The G6 does have a killer feature set and great manual control augmented by touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Speaking of which, could you describe your experiences with G1 Continuous AF and with which lenses did you find it working right?
    I never used it, but I never really do with any camera/lens.

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I have the G5 and am pretty happy with it. I find it fits me well and I find the controls pretty easy to use, coming from Canon dslrs. I couldn't warm up to the E-PM1 even though the photos I got from it were fine. The focus on the E-PM1 also had a harder time locking on difficult subjects and I'd avoid it for anything like running kids. I've used the G5 for high school American football, and while not ideal, it was workable using one SAF and burst mode, which what it sounds like you are doing with the G1.

I'd love to try the EM-10 for comparison myself, as I am not opposed to switching from Panasonic to Olympus and back. I just didn't care for the E-PM1 and got a smoking deal on the G5, which I am very happy with. Since the G5 is getting harder to find, in your situation I'd probably wait for the EM-10 to be available and see if I could get my hands on one and a G6 and see which I liked better. Or maybe even a used EM-5.

12. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi there, I shoot the soccer exclusively with my used panisonic 45 - 200. The G1 after trial and error I set to continuous AF and select centre AF point, burst option selected.
    Key thing for me is that the AF is quick enough to near on instantly focus, at which point I am likely to fire off just 3 or 4 shots. With the EVF going crazy I try to predict the movement notwithstanding I sometimes cannot see it! I suspect most of the time I am not taking advantage of the G1's limited CAF ability. Given most action is running across me rather than towards or away from me.
    The reach of the lens allows me to cover the entire junior size pitches relatively easy, so I can crop quite tightly whilst I shoot. One shot AF speed (effectively what I am doing notwithstanding CAF setting) seems good with the lens but have nowt to compare it with other than kit lenses.
    Where I have been caught out is if I change zoom at any point whilst following the action, it can then take a age (by comparison) to refocus
    I shoot in jpeg and crop perhaps typically a max of 30 -40% when required. Then print to a max of 8x10 mainly 8x6.
    At 1st half of zoom range lens seems quite sharp to me the longer end less so, but it could just be revealing my poor technique etc.
    I shoot maybe 70 to 120 shots per match which is just 30 mins each way. Coming from film days I am still more frugal with the shutter than perhaps I should be.
    I always shoot through the EVF the LCD method feels totally alien to me for sport with a sizable lens on board.
    As you will appreciate I am late into digital photography and the complexities of modern CSC's although I have years of 35mm experience behind me with a sizable gap in the middle!
    Regards to all
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks Mark, so G1 C-AF used (or did you mean menu3=Pre-AF-on?) to keep the subject kind of in focus and then a quick burst,.
    Not adjusting the zoom sounds like a good tip, I've never heard that before.

14. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Yes, just continuous focus with the centre AF point, and high speed burst mode. To be honest i am still mastering the menu system. I have tried the above settings in conjuction with focus priority setting (not sure if these settings are even compatiable!)

Sunday just gone i took another 100 or so images and tested the continuous AF on players (U10's slowly) running towards me and it worked better than i have previously given it credit for.

Wonder if anyone knows a G1 optimum set up for this usage? that's assuming there's still a few G1's in use for this sort of thing.

Re my original post pretty much set on a G6 and possibly a used G5 to eventually replace my G1's.
    Curious to handle a EM 10 as and when they land here before i commit though.
    Thanks so much for responding to what is my 1st post on this great forum.
    Might even try to post a few images tonight, be it here or elsewhere.

Mark

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    One thing I have heard about the G6 over previous G models is a less stingey buffer (read:bigger) for bursts,
    you should test first and see if it suits.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Also nicer video, if that's a factor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    If you don't need what the G6 offers then get the G5.

In saying that, I would personally go for the E-M10. Olympus cameras are not my preference but I require the better ISO performance.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I nearly bought a G5 body from Wilkinson before getting the G6. They don't have the G5 body any more but they do have it for £250 with the kit lens. I don't think the body only (when they had stock) was much less than that. I think it was £230.

If you fancy a G6 I'm thinking of selling mine. Only had it three months. Great camera but I need the money!

• Like Like x 1
  19. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    All with G1 and 45-200

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394806578.852589.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394806656.227412.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394806717.042424.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394806741.412731.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :biggrin: That last one!