G1 to G2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Danny_Two, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Ive been toying with the idea of selling my G1 and getting the G2, but was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether it was worth the change. Ive read up on some of the improvements, but are these any real world noticable IQ increase over the G1?
    I don't really use video so that's not an issue. Wondering if I should just keep the G1 and wait for the possible G3.

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    IQ is the same. You'd be upgrading for touch screen and video mainly. You don't get an IQ advantage until you go to the GH1 or GH2.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree with Zach.

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    In fact, unless for some reason you're really excited about the touch screen (which is neat, but I hardly use), I'd pick up a GH1 for about the same money. The GH1 bodies are going for about $450 new on ebay i noticed the other day, and you get a better sensor and better video.

5. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Here is a good chart to compare the G1 to the G2

Panasonic DMC-G2 Review: 2. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

No idea if Venus Engine HD II vs Venus Engine HD for the processor matters. I know I could not live without the 1:1 native aspect ratio of the G2 : )
    I love the touch screen but turns out I rarely use it. Played with video on day one, but have not since.

BK

6. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I won't bother then.
    :smile: