G1 settings

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Herman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    What are best settings to get great output?
    ISO, film mode, iA or P, A, S etc, AF, jpeg, RAW, shutter speed, aperture, filter, aspect ratio, etc.
    Camera G1 plus 14-45.
    I shoot mainly in jpeg (color), aspect ratio 4:3, file size 3000 x 4000 (max).

I shall be looking forward to hearing from you, thanks.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    starting with your current preference for jpeg, color, 4:3, and max file size...

Everything really depends upon the conditions in which you are shooting. But for a wide variety of situations, ISO of 400 is good. Film of standard color is good and I also like Dynamic Black and White. I prefer to do my own focus so I use manual focus. I also like to choose my aperture and let the camera pick the shutter speed, so I like the A setting.

But the best thing I have done recently for great output is participating in the Image Quest group on this site. I look at the photos in the Gallery here and think about how other people chose their subjects and look at the settings other people use.

Though I prefer manual settings, the automatic ones on the G1 are very good. I have used them in situations where I do not have time to do everything manually and they produce very good images.

I prefer to shoot in RAW mode, but I have also found that the large jpeg files are excellent.

Shoot thoughtfully, shoot often, and post some of your images.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jolliger

Jolliger Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2010
    Ross on Wye. UK
    Hi Herman

My G1 is initially set at 400 iso, depending on light conditions I reduce this to 200 or even 100 for portraits,
    have tried auto but does not work for me.
    Seems to select a slow shutter speed.

Mainly I work in Aperture Priority, most of my content is stationary or slow moving, “A” has less setting to play with, and I have some control of DOF when needed.

White balance, initially set at auto, because I forget about it, but when I remember set it manually, sometimes use Cloudy on a bright day to get a warmer effect.

Always use RAW + JPEG at 4:3 ratio. Not done any post processing in RAW yet, but played a bit with JPEG.

This is a great forum, I am still learning, and scan through the Galley, and see what others have used, to achieve fantastic shots.

Roger

G1 + 14-45, 45-200, Canon FD 50mm 1.4

• Like Like x 2
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for postings.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman