1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

G1 settings

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Herman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    What are best settings to get great output?
    ISO, film mode, iA or P, A, S etc, AF, jpeg, RAW, shutter speed, aperture, filter, aspect ratio, etc.
    Camera G1 plus 14-45.
    I shoot mainly in jpeg (color), aspect ratio 4:3, file size 3000 x 4000 (max).

I shall be looking forward to hearing from you, thanks.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    starting with your current preference for jpeg, color, 4:3, and max file size...

Everything really depends upon the conditions in which you are shooting. But for a wide variety of situations, ISO of 400 is good. Film of standard color is good and I also like Dynamic Black and White. I prefer to do my own focus so I use manual focus. I also like to choose my aperture and let the camera pick the shutter speed, so I like the A setting.

But the best thing I have done recently for great output is participating in the Image Quest group on this site. I look at the photos in the Gallery here and think about how other people chose their subjects and look at the settings other people use.

Though I prefer manual settings, the automatic ones on the G1 are very good. I have used them in situations where I do not have time to do everything manually and they produce very good images.

I prefer to shoot in RAW mode, but I have also found that the large jpeg files are excellent.

Shoot thoughtfully, shoot often, and post some of your images.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jolliger

Jolliger Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2010
    Ross on Wye. UK
    Hi Herman

My G1 is initially set at 400 iso, depending on light conditions I reduce this to 200 or even 100 for portraits,
    have tried auto but does not work for me.
    Seems to select a slow shutter speed.

Mainly I work in Aperture Priority, most of my content is stationary or slow moving, “A” has less setting to play with, and I have some control of DOF when needed.

White balance, initially set at auto, because I forget about it, but when I remember set it manually, sometimes use Cloudy on a bright day to get a warmer effect.

Always use RAW + JPEG at 4:3 ratio. Not done any post processing in RAW yet, but played a bit with JPEG.

This is a great forum, I am still learning, and scan through the Galley, and see what others have used, to achieve fantastic shots.

Roger

G1 + 14-45, 45-200, Canon FD 50mm 1.4

• Like Like x 1
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for postings.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.