G1 RAW Processing - this is interesting...

tam

Mu-43 Regular
So I've got a G1, and use macs, so was looking into free RAW processing options.

Currently I use iPhoto, but wasn't sure if it used the lens information to correct aberrations as it should, do I did a test. And it does. But it does so cropping the raw image. But then the jpegs produced by the camera also crop the image. I noticed this when I was trying out raw photo processor, which doesn't (DCRaw and related converters like Rawker also don't correct).

So what I'm on about is maybe better explained with pictures - see the attached. Look at the position of the green rectangle - it makes the cropping obvious. Annoyingly I can't remember what I lined the viewfinder up with for that particular shot, if it was the edge of the green, or the screen edge. So I don't know if:

a) extra info in the RAW not in the viewfinder/jpeg
b) what you see through the finder is cropped for the picture.

What do all you mac users out there use to handle your G1 RAW files, and does it correct the aberrations? And does it crop?

(and if anyone's interested in the level of distortion, it's the 14-45 shot at 14mm)

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 231
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 216
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 212

ajm80031

Mu-43 Regular
I use the Adobe RAW plugin with Photoshop Elements on the Mac. The plugin is free, but obviously you need to own Photoshop Elements or Adobe Creative Suite in order to use it. Also, I'm using a GH1 rather than a G1 so we don't have the same sensor.

Camera RAW does indeed correct for aberrations, as my wide angle shots (using the 14-140mm kit lens) don't show overtly noticeable barrel distortion. I haven't attempted to photograph a grid as you did to know for certain, but straight lines near the edges do show as fairly straight coming out of Camera RAW.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
think its just a function of the maths involved in 'flattening out the bubble'

pixels need to be pushed and rightly the ones at the centre get the most attention at the expense of the edges

I use aperture - which basically uses the same raw conversion engine as iphoto

K

monkey66

New to Mu-43
Quick question. I am using photoshop CS3, am I right in thinking there is no plug-in for the G1 raw files for Adobe Camera Raw (V 4.6 I think).

Maczero

Mu-43 Regular
I have a GF1, but I guess the problem is the same. I am also a Mac user, so quite often use Aperture. However, I am also a fan of Raw Photo Processor. This has a rather clunky interface, but you can unrivalled detail from your Raw files. It is also free (or you can give a small donation if you like) and can be used an external processor in iPhoto. It will extract data from the whole sensor, so my GF1 files are 4012 pixels across. It doesn't deal with lens corrections though. I use PT Lens for that.

scho

Mu-43 Rookie
So I've got a G1, and use macs, so was looking into free RAW processing options.

Currently I use iPhoto, but wasn't sure if it used the lens information to correct aberrations as it should, do I did a test. And it does. But it does so cropping the raw image. But then the jpegs produced by the camera also crop the image. I noticed this when I was trying out raw photo processor, which doesn't (DCRaw and related converters like Rawker also don't correct).

So what I'm on about is maybe better explained with pictures - see the attached. Look at the position of the green rectangle - it makes the cropping obvious. Annoyingly I can't remember what I lined the viewfinder up with for that particular shot, if it was the edge of the green, or the screen edge. So I don't know if:

a) extra info in the RAW not in the viewfinder/jpeg
b) what you see through the finder is cropped for the picture.

What do all you mac users out there use to handle your G1 RAW files, and does it correct the aberrations? And does it crop?

(and if anyone's interested in the level of distortion, it's the 14-45 shot at 14mm)

LR and ACR will use the distortion correction Lumix lens data embedded in the RW2 raw files and also correct CA. Some other raw developers do not make lens corrections. An example below with a G1 14-45 raw image on left processed in LR and same image on right processed in raw developer which did not automatically correct distortions.

View attachment 145321

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Quick question. I am using photoshop CS3, am I right in thinking there is no plug-in for the G1 raw files for Adobe Camera Raw (V 4.6 I think).

I don't know if you can get an update for CS3 to work with G1 files but, if not, there's a workaround. Download the (free) Adobe DNG converter application, use it to convert your RAW files to DNG format, then open them in CS3. The DNG converter is kept up to date with newer cameras, so should work for the forseeable future.

Latest threads

Top Bottom