G1 questions

Warren T.

Mu-43 Veteran
I've had my G1 for a few weeks now, and I really enjoy using the camera. I have some questions for other G1 users:

- The lower rear corner of my G1's rubberized body coating, near the LCD hinge is peeling off. I bought my G1 used, and according to the seller, he bought it just before Christmas last year. When I first got the camera, I noticed a very slight peeling of the coating in the area that I described. Then I noticed that after every photo excursion with the camera, the peeling around that area got larger and larger. I read on the Internet that this is a common problem with the G1. Has anyone else here experienced the same problem? Did Panasonic do anything about it for you? Since it doesn't affect the image quality or operations of the camera, I am not very concerned about it, other than the fact that the rate of peeling is really quite alarming, considering the young age of the camera.

- I checked, and my camera is still on version 1.0 of the firmware. Is there any urgency to update the firmware to the latest version? My camera seems to be operating fine now with V1.0. Are there any firmware updates since V1.0 that have an impact on image quality?

I just ordered a 20mm f1.7, and it should arrive this week sometime. I prefer to shoot with prime lenses, and I am very excited to try this lens. :smile:

Thanks,

Warren

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Warren

there a lot of things that I like about the G1, (versus the EP-1) - and I think that there is a thread somewhere on the G1

I do find that the G1 and the EP-1 are different

I use the G1 more like a conventional DSLR

I now tend to use my EP-1 more - it's smaller and easier to slip in the pocket - I also find the jpegs out of the came better from Oly

You need both

I much prefer the G1 for tripod use

Check what the upgrade(s) in firmware do - there is usually one for the cam and one for the lens
One of the things to watch out for is non OEM battery compatibility - Pana and Oly try sneakily to prevent you using third party batteries with each firmware upgrade

The 20mm is a pearl - you will use it all the time - it is SO versatile

Good luck

bebrox

Mu-43 Regular
Not a common problem

Hi there, I read about several users complaining about peeling on the early G1's on owner sent his back to Panasonic and they refinished it.

I have had my camera since last June and the body is as new all over.

This camera is wonderful to use, take lots of pics and get used to the ergonomics and you will reap the benefits especially the EVF when using any zoom lens (I use the EVF all the time).

And yes, upgrade the firmware for body and lenses.

Razer

Mu-43 Regular
I personally think you've got one of the first batches of the G1, I got mine in Feb of this year & it came with version 1.3 installed.

The peeling was a common problem for the first batches.

Warren T.

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information. I see that there are some relevant performance improvements in the firmware updates, so I will upgrade my firmware soon. I bought a 2nd battery, and the seller claims that the battery is compatible with the latest firmware, so we'll see if that's true or not :smile:.

I contacted Panasonic to see if they are willing to do anything about the peeling, and if not, no big deal, I'll just live with it.

Yes, the big reason that I chose the G1 is because of the great EVF. I use the EVF about 99% of the time. I am coming from a SLR and rangefinder camera background, AND I'm an old guy who needs reading glasses. It is much more comfortable for me to use a viewfinder than using a back-of-the-camera LCD at arm's length.

Warren

howbeg

New to Mu-43
I bought my daughter a G1 and wish I had kept it as its so sweet. How do I go about updatine the firmware as I have never done this. Thanks

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
My G1 was made in Japan and it is in perfect condition as far as the finish. The firmware update is easy if you follow the directions to a T. I bought my G1 in July of 2009 and it came from Amazon with version 1.0 firmware so I've updated mine at least twice. I've also updated the firmware on the 45-200 and 14-45 lens.

I think there will be another firmware update soon since the new G2 and G10 are coming out and they will want to make the older models recognize the new 14-42 lens. Also will want to make the 14-45 and 45-200 and other lens recognize the new G2 and G10.

chuckgoolsbee

Mu-43 Regular
I've had my G1 for almost a year, with some moderate-to-heavy use. So far no peeling.

You will *love* the 20mm lens. It is a revelation in clarity. Easily my favorite lens so far.

howbeg

New to Mu-43
what exactly does firmware do? sorry a bit new to this but thanks guys so far

Warren T.

Mu-43 Veteran
what exactly does firmware do? sorry a bit new to this but thanks guys so far

Our digital cameras are like little computers. You could think of the firmware as the operating systems of our cameras. Firmware upgrades address software bugs and/or provide newer features and compatibility for new equipment (new native M/43 lenses, for example).

Post #4 in this thread has a link to the Panasonic web page that has a description of all the new features and fixes in the different versions of the G1 firmware.

--Warren

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I checked, and my camera is still on version 1.0 of the firmware. Is there any urgency to update the firmware to the latest version?

No.

On the other hand, the update is worthwhile and also extremely simple. You won't regret it.

Well, I think I read somewhere that something can screw up if you do it via an SD card that has photos as well as the upgrade file. What I did was use an old 2GB card that I keep for just such miscellaneous use and from which I'd removed all photos and other stuff.

Latest threads

Top Bottom