G1 problem with MF assist

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by warrenmiller, Aug 4, 2010.

1. warrenmiller

warrenmiller New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2010
    hi - I've just got my G1 and put a voigtlander 35mm f1.5 SC using the DMW-MA 2M and have firmware 1.5 but I can't get the auto MF assist to work.

it comes up if I press left then menu on the buttons but doesn't happen when I move the focus ring like I thought it would.

I do have MF assist on and the dial by the lens is set to MF

any suggestions?

thanks for your help! :)

warren

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Auto MF assist only works with lenses that have an electrical connection to the camera.

So only native u43 lenses, and I think some 4/3 ones with the correct adapter.

3. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Warren,

I don't have a G1, but have a GF1 and G2 and think that they operate the same way. Are you depressing the dial at the top where your thumb rests? That on my cameras brings up the magnified view. Tam's right - moving the focus ring only works for m4/3 lenses.

Regards,
    Stephen

4. warrenmiller

warrenmiller New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2010
    hi - thanks - didn't realise that.
    do you mean the AF/AE lock button? that doesn't bring up the zoomed in MF on mine.

thanks,
    warren

5. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    No - on the GF1 and the G2 to the right of the ae/af lock button, there is a dial/wheel that if you depress it, will bring up the magnified view. Moving the wheel either way will change f stop (but only if a m/43 lens is attached) or the exposure.

Not sure if the G1 has the same dial/wheel ...

Stephen

6. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Warren,

Looking at reviews online, seems like neither the G1 nor the GH1 have this wheel. My mistake in assuming that the G1 had this feature ...

Stephen

7. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    correct, you press the left button, then move the square to where you want the enlarged area to be and press SET. You should then be able to focus by moving the ring.

8. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I do own a g1

Press the left 4way
    adj where you want it, (I keep in the center),
    Press the "set" button,
    Turn the front wheel to change the spot from 10x to 14x, if you want.
    Focus (and recompose if needed)
    Shoot

9. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The G1 and GH1 do have the control wheel, only it is located on the front of the camera (top of the hand grip, ostensibly to use with your index finger when not on the shutter button) instead of the rear with the G2/G10/GF1.