G1 or...

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by threebees, Mar 31, 2013.

1. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I want an affordable camera with nice grip, viewfinder and flash. I don't do video, I just like taking pictures of animals of any size and I am usually a backpacker.

I have an E-PL2 but I prefer something with built-in viewfinder and grip. I know E-PL2 is a good camera but not what I need. I was thinking about Panasonic G1 as there are cheap bodies in the second hand market.
    Do you think it would be a big step backwards?

I like the mzuiko 12-50 for is wide angle and macro options, but maybe it's better the panasonic 14-42 plus some macro legacy lens and a tele lens. Or could I use some extension rings for that 14-42?

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I am still shooting a pair of G1s. The main disadvantage IMHO is that low light capability is not as good as newer bodies like the OM-D. I like the ergonomics -- the camera is easy to grip. I like the controls -- no touch screens where my nose reprograms the camera. I like the fully articulated LCD. So I'm in no hurry to "upgrade."

I've tried GF1 and GF2 with EVF but the EVF wart makes them functionally as bulky as the G1s and the EVF view is nowhere near the G1s.

I primarily use the 9-18mm and the 14-140mm with the 12/F2 for low light, but the range of that 12-50 is mighty attractive.
  3. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Same here -- I've upgraded to a G3 (and soon G5) for wildlife photos and low light, but I'm still using my G1s for landscapes, travel photos, etc. The only thing that led me to get the G3 was the number of long-telephoto bird pictures I was missing because of the G1s slower autofocus. For everything else, they're fine.
  4. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I hadn't tought about reprograming noses, thanks for advising.
    I don't think noise is a problem for me. I don't think I'll use ISO over 800 and I don't mind if I get some of it, I am used to terrible noise at ISO400 with my previous camera (before e-pl2)

I used to shoot with a zuiko 70-300 that was never too fast with autofocus so I preferred manual focus for following animals. I don't have that lens anymore so I think that until I can afford a better lens I will use also a legacy telelens. I didn't know either what IS was before e-pl2 so I can also live without that.

Scott, what do you use for birds, 100-300?

I think that it will be a good camera for me,thanks to both!
  5. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Yep, I use the 100-300. I'm pretty happy with it, but it does focus a *lot* faster on the G3.

You can't really go wrong with the G1 for the use you're describing.
  6. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Can't go wrong with the G1 at all. If I were solely shooting photos, I would probably pick the G1 over plenty of the cameras that were released after it. Mine had pretty bad ISO performance at 800 on up, but in good lighting I never noticed a decrease in IQ performance compared to the other bodies.
  7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    G1 was and still is a great camera for your uses. However, there have been a string of really good G5 deals lately so you might check what the price difference between a G1 used and a discounted G5 is first. Check the deals thread for an idea of what the G5 has been going for recently.
  8. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks to all! The G1 seems to be enough for me, just pictures with good light.

Kwalsh, thanks for your advice too, I will look for it, but at this moment I haven't seen anything for three times the price of a G1. I think it's much easier to find first generations G's when people want to make also videos with the camera. I only worry about stills.
  9. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    If you're going to use legacy lens note that the way you get to see a zoomed in focus assist area involves pressing two buttons rather than one press of the rear wheel with the G2 and so on.
    Also I find the rear jog wheel more instinctive to use than the front one of the G1.
    So if you're thinking about legacy lens then try and get a cheap G2.
    That with a nice OM 135 3.5 for £10 - £20 makes a nice tele setup in good light.
    You do have to bear in mind the weight of legacy lens for backpacking though the
    OM 135 3.5 plus adaptor is lighter than Pan 45-200.

Good luck in your choice
  10. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I've been thinking about it and I will wait more and try to get the 100-300 and 12-50 (and use its macro for a while).
    I usually feel very doubtful about autofocus speed for wildlife photos, but I must remind myself that my previous setup was Olympus E300 everything could go like a snail compared to modern cameras... or as we say in spanish, "like stepping on eggs"... so again, I will probably have more than enought with G1. And then, when some bag full of money steps on my way, I'll go for the EM-5 :D
  11. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    And dweller, thanks for the advice but believe me, I wouldn't use much the 135mm, though I had thought about it before. I will probably get a legacy 50mm macro and in a few months the 100-300 and then in a few more sell the 50mm and 14-42 (this one will come with the camera) and get the 12-50. And while I wait I'll try not to look much to the birds that fly close...
    All planned :cool:

Thank you very much to all!