G1 or Gh1 For Stills

Sundancer

New to Mu-43
Is it much difference or any difference on sharpness vs these two cameras? I have always had p&s and zoom cameras. I keep going back and forth looking at the Sony a33/a55 or micro 4/3rds. I understand where i am going to get into money is lens. The deal for the gh1 is very good now but i am much more interested in still photos than video and this is why i ask. I really like the jpg output of Olympus but i do not like the style of the body on the small pens or nex. I also want the camera to be capable of either a wired or wireless remote. If Olympus would put the epl1 in the g1 body with faster af, they would put alot of pressure on other companies. I also like the concept of nex but i would like the nex with more manual knob controls in a g1 body. I also like the a33/a55 but i do not want to put that much money in a body now. The G's seem like a bargain now. If the G2 would come down in price i would consider this body also. Besides the touch screen on the g2 and i do like that feature, what else does the g2 offer than the g1, pertaining to still photos? Where is the best place to pick up a g1 and kit lens? Ebay.

The 14-45 that comes in G1 kits is *way* better than the 14-42 that comes with G2 kits. Less money and better.

This keeps getting thrown around and repeated as gospel. I'm inclined to think it is a little true, from the two test/reviews I found, but perhaps not *way* true. It kind of begs for some side to side comparison. They are both considered fairly good for slow kit lenses.

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As far as the camera body itself, there's no difference in 'sharpness' between the two of them. Sharpness is really more of a lens characteristic than a sensor characteristic. I can tell you that the IQ for stills on my GH1 is better than that of my G1, FWIW. Also the constant AoV feature on the GH1 makes it well-worth it as an upgrade to the G1.

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
What is AoV feature?

As far as the camera body itself, there's no difference in 'sharpness' between the two of them. Sharpness is really more of a lens characteristic than a sensor characteristic. I can tell you that the IQ for stills on my GH1 is better than that of my G1, FWIW. Also the constant AoV feature on the GH1 makes it well-worth it as an upgrade to the G1.

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
The GH bodies differ from all other m4/3 bodies in that they use an oversize sensor.
Now this doesn't mean the area of sensor used is bigger than other camera's when shooting at the normal 4:3 aspect ratio - as all m4/3 lenses all produce the same size image circle; but it does mean that when shooting at other aspect ratios (16:9, 1:1, 6:4) the image is made from the full number of megapixels rather than a crop of a 4:3 picture.

AoV (angle of view) changes with image ratio; that's what Dragos was getting at.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Since we're talking about the GH1, would you guys consider it an improvement (RAW image wise) over the E-PL1? I'm inclined to think that the Panny 14-45 is a better lens than the Oly 14-42....

I've been thinking of picking up a GH1 throught the Panny EPP site and getting rid of my E-PL1.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
The one G2 feature I like is the focus-mode switch moving beneath the AF/MF switch on the left. That's a logical spot for both settings & better than the 4-way pad < button. I'd expect to use the touch screen now and then but I'm not trained enough yet to recall the focus-mode spot (but I'm getting better :smile:). I'm quite happy with the G1, but ignorance is bliss - I saw it first, and for a price I could not refuse!

I've now toyed with an A33 - it shows promise but I gave up on Sony (and a great set of lenses) six months ago. Several Minolta lenses are small and still fairly inexpensive on the used market, but I'll stick with my G1 set.

Latest threads

Top Bottom