G1 or Gh1 For Stills

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Sundancer, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Sundancer

Sundancer New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2011
    Is it much difference or any difference on sharpness vs these two cameras? I have always had p&s and zoom cameras. I keep going back and forth looking at the Sony a33/a55 or micro 4/3rds. I understand where i am going to get into money is lens. The deal for the gh1 is very good now but i am much more interested in still photos than video and this is why i ask. I really like the jpg output of Olympus but i do not like the style of the body on the small pens or nex. I also want the camera to be capable of either a wired or wireless remote. If Olympus would put the epl1 in the g1 body with faster af, they would put alot of pressure on other companies. I also like the concept of nex but i would like the nex with more manual knob controls in a g1 body. I also like the a33/a55 but i do not want to put that much money in a body now. The G's seem like a bargain now. If the G2 would come down in price i would consider this body also. Besides the touch screen on the g2 and i do like that feature, what else does the g2 offer than the g1, pertaining to still photos? Where is the best place to pick up a g1 and kit lens? Ebay.
  2. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    The 14-45 that comes in G1 kits is *way* better than the 14-42 that comes with G2 kits. Less money and better.
  3. cantseecaliforniafromhere

cantseecaliforniafromhere New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2011
    Lunenburg, NS
    This keeps getting thrown around and repeated as gospel. I'm inclined to think it is a little true, from the two test/reviews I found, but perhaps not *way* true. It kind of begs for some side to side comparison. They are both considered fairly good for slow kit lenses.
  4. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
  5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    As far as the camera body itself, there's no difference in 'sharpness' between the two of them. Sharpness is really more of a lens characteristic than a sensor characteristic. I can tell you that the IQ for stills on my GH1 is better than that of my G1, FWIW. Also the constant AoV feature on the GH1 makes it well-worth it as an upgrade to the G1.
  6. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    What is AoV feature?

7. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    The GH bodies differ from all other m4/3 bodies in that they use an oversize sensor.
    Now this doesn't mean the area of sensor used is bigger than other camera's when shooting at the normal 4:3 aspect ratio - as all m4/3 lenses all produce the same size image circle; but it does mean that when shooting at other aspect ratios (16:9, 1:1, 6:4) the image is made from the full number of megapixels rather than a crop of a 4:3 picture.

AoV (angle of view) changes with image ratio; that's what Dragos was getting at.
  8. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Since we're talking about the GH1, would you guys consider it an improvement (RAW image wise) over the E-PL1? I'm inclined to think that the Panny 14-45 is a better lens than the Oly 14-42....

I've been thinking of picking up a GH1 throught the Panny EPP site and getting rid of my E-PL1.
  9. Sundancer

Sundancer New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I think i'll pick up a gh1 and try it out. Nice forum.
  10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    The one G2 feature I like is the focus-mode switch moving beneath the AF/MF switch on the left. That's a logical spot for both settings & better than the 4-way pad < button. I'd expect to use the touch screen now and then but I'm not trained enough yet to recall the focus-mode spot (but I'm getting better :smile:). I'm quite happy with the G1, but ignorance is bliss - I saw it first, and for a price I could not refuse!

I've now toyed with an A33 - it shows promise but I gave up on Sony (and a great set of lenses) six months ago. Several Minolta lenses are small and still fairly inexpensive on the used market, but I'll stick with my G1 set.