G1 or EVF for my e-PL1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by sblehm, Dec 3, 2010.

1. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    With the current price of the G1 on Amazon I am tempted to get one. The main reason I am thinking about it, other than the lens (which from what I understand is great) is the built in EVF. I have about 5 manual focus lenses that are at best tricky to focus on the LCD, so I am hoping the the EVF will help me in that area. I just am not sure getting another camera body is the answer.

Anyone with opinions?

also, I think the swivel LCD on the G1 might be nice...
  2. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    The VF-2 is really nice. If you go for a G1 you lose in-body image stabilization and you'll need to get used to a different user interface. There's also the question of how much do you want to carry with you. Two bodies means you can have two different lenses with you that you can switch between quickly. It also means more bulk. VF-2 can easily be taken off and pocketed when you don't need an EVF or want to be a little less conspicuous.
  3. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    I would say, GO for the G1, I bought one on ebay and I use it as a second body, and only for my manual focus lenses. It works just better, and you can use your Oly for your native lenses and your G1 for your manual lenses :wink:
    At least, that is whaht i do at the moment, and I love my G1 (the build-in EVF is great). Of course I cannot compare with the external VF for the Oly, but focussing with my manual lensen on my GF1 (LCD or VF1) is a disaster. The body feels also better, has a better grip to use with manual lenses.
    I do not miss any stabilisation with my manual lenses at all. I just don't drink alcohol :rofl: (joke)

Of course, this is just my opinion, and you know, 6 billion people, 6 billion opinions :wink:
  4. The tilt feature on the VF-2 is great.

That plus the IBIS for your MF lenses (and the jpeg output...).

I've only had the VF-2 a couple of days, at first it looked a little silly, but I really like it. Just prefer it was mounted where the pop up flash is...... Being able to remove it, pop the 20 F1.7 on and have a really little camera is super as well.

Personally, I would only go down the Panny road if I was really serious about video, and then you would surely get the GH2! Panny lenses on an Olympus body are much better than the other way around........

5. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    I think the reason the topic starter wants the G1 is for the manual lenses, and he will keep his Oly for the Oly lenses :wink:
    A second body only for his manual lenses, and in that case I think it is a good choice :biggrin:
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    So you really feel the benefit of IBIS with Oly + MF lenses is exaggerated? I've read about it so many times that I've come to accept it as The Truth.
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    G1 with manual-focus lenses is very satisfying ... plus it does other things too ...
    Flippy LCD, good exposure bracketing, multi-film-mode, excellent stabilised kit lens ...
  8. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Three months ago, I bought a G1 body to go with my EPL1, thinking that I would use it for manual lenses. I have probably shot less than 100 pictures with the G1. I always seem to grab the EPL1 with whatever combination I think I will need. While I actually prefer the feel and operation of the G1, I find that going back and forth two cameras is not optimal, for me, principally because my time for photography is rather limited. So I have been considering this morning whether to list the G1 (no lens) for sale, and whether it is better to do so now or to wait until some weeks after the holidays.