1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G1 Now or Wait on the G2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by john1027, Mar 22, 2010.

1. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I was leaning towards jumping into the 4/3 world with a G1 or perhaps the GF1 a supplement for travel to my larger DSLR set-up. I am thinking of completely ditching the DSLR at some point and might be better served with the G1/G2 due to my preference for grip, built in EVF, etc. I rarely have any video needs and thus that is not a concern.

My question is based on what some of you experienced G1 users know, do you think the IQ overall on the G2 is worth paying the expected higher premium price or would you recommend buying a bargain priced G1 now? I realize that this question might be better answered once some hands-on reviews are available but just wanted to get a feeling based on the released specs.

Thanks.

2. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Hi John,

This is just my own opinion :). My feeling is that there will be always be something better, so personally, I decided to just go for the G1 now. I found a good deal on a used G1 with the 14-45mm kit lens. M43 is a system, so I fully expect to add a 20mm f1.7 prime, and a compact body (GF1 or similar?) in the near future. And when my used G1 gets too worn out, I will consider upgrading to something newer when the time comes. I've only had mine for a few weeks, but so far I am very happy with it, and like you I can see abandoning my bulkier DSLR setup if the M43 format works out for me.

The EVF on my G1 is larger and more functional than the OVF on my Nikon D100 dslr. Prior to seeing and using the G1 EVF, I was a big naysayer of EVF's in general after using the dismal examples from other digital cameras. The G1's EVF makes think that EVF are the wave of the future.

--Warren

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi John1027,
    I recently purchased a GF1 with the 20mm lens and then began to regret the lack of an evf. I held off buying the one for the GF1 based on poor reports, I was keen to be able to focus manually for macro work. Otherwise I am more than happy with the GF1 and the 20mm lens using a Voigtlander 40mm ovf as a walk round camera for on street/landscape type work.
    Last week I obtained a G1 body only from www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk for £299.99 and test drove it this weekend with a 55mm micro nikkor f2.8. The built in evf is excellent and I had no problem in manually focusing the nikkor lens, the combination producing excellent results such that I would feel happy to leave my Olympus E1 and Sigma macro 18-50mm lens at home. Personally I would go with the G1, there seem to be a few advances too many with the G2, for example the touch screen.
    I was delighted with the results from the G1 and surprised to be able to handhold and produce pin sharp micro pictures.
    Whatever you do, enjoy, :43: is an addictive pastime.
    Barrie

4. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    That day is usually the day after I make up my mind about an electronic device and actually buy it. It is a concept that you just have to expect will happen regardless of your choices.

I don't know if I can sit on the fence until May/June. I guess I can always sell whatever I buy anyway, if I change my mind -- hopefully at not too much of a loss!

to grebeman...

Your stable of the GF1 and the G1 is another tempting option and one I am considering as I sell off some of my DSLR gear.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

I have to say I'm in basically the same boat. What to buy?

I use a G1 I purchased for work but really need to buy my own - if something "happened" to the G1 while I was using it I'd be honor-bound to replace it. I am fortunate that my job allows me some freedom around equipment/supplies that I use for my work - so I have some freedom to buy what I believe suits me. I love the G1.

The pros

1) I'm very much into the concept of image blending/HDR so auto-exposure bracketing is very important to me. The G1 allows 3,5 or 7 auto bracketed images - very powerful. I use 3 and 5 is an option I hate to lose - don't really need 7 or more.

2) The tilt/swivel lcd. I was taking some pictures of flowers this weekend and using that lcd screen at very low angles is a great thing compared to laying on the wet ground and using the evf even though I also use live view evf alot as I am used to putting camera to eye.

3) The feel and handling of the camera - fits my hand better than anything else I've ever used although I have to admit the GF1 feels a little better but has no evf or swivelable LCD. I really like the 4/3rds concept.

4) The menu structure "fits" with my idea of how the menu structure should be so I don't have to hunt as much as I might on other cameras.

5) I've noticed the alignment of companies - electronics and glass (lenses)

Nikon/Nikon
    Canon/Canon
    Pentax/Pentax
    Oly/Zuiko
    Panasonic/Leica
    Sony/Zeiss (even Minolta)

I've no idea who makes lenses for Ricoh, Samsung, etc so I'm nervous about buying into any of those systems. Of the "marriages" above I like the Panasonic/Leica "marriage" best although I don't think it's the most inexpensive combo out there.

So what are the other options?

As far as I'm concerned there are really only a couple others and they all have a similar weakness when it comes to AEB and that is only 3 images not an option for 5 or more. The other problem is that body sizes start getting bigger. A bit bigger than micro 4/3rds is OK but not too much. For me the other main contender out there right now (who knows what the future will bring) is the Canon T2i (or 550D). From an AEB perspective 3 images a total of 4 EV apart - maybe OK although I'm not thrilled about it. On the plus side it is 18 megapixel - although I'd prefer 14-15 or so as I'm concerned about whether the sensor is better than the lenses I can afford to buy. The other plus is perhaps very good high ISO performance as I like the idea of high ISO performance to give more flexibility in exposure options. Then of course there is the whole issue of video which may be a plus - the Canon is 1080p or 750p. However it has no tilt/swivel lcd which I have found to be really useful.

So right now the issue is G1 or wait to see pricing on G2 or maybe that Canon. To tell you the truth I never thought I'd ever be considering a Canon. I think I still lean G1 but I'm waiting to see what the next few months brings in terms of announcements and pricing especially with respect to the G2. If the pricing is the same (or close) as a T2i I'm probably there.

-Ed-

• Like Like x 1
  6. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I would wait on the G2 since it will probably take pics at least as good as the G1 and hopefully better. The touch screen looks like a useful thing rather than a gimmick to me and the video can't hurt. I've read of some really good deals on used G1 Panasonic's though.:43:

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I would be happy to agree that my use of the word gimmick could be seen as rather flippant. With my first camera, a 120 rollfilm Bessa 1 I had to set the f stop (infinitely variable since it was not click stopped) and then set the shutter speed before composing the picture in the tiny viewer attached to the shutter/lens mechanism. With my Leica M3 I was able to set the lens aperture and shutter speed without removing the camera from my eye by virtue of them being click stopped and my own memory as to their previous settings.
    What I don't understand about a touch screen is just how it adds to the experience involved in taking a photograph, to me in introduces a further layer of un-necessary complexity, but hey perhaps that's the view of an old fashioned photographer.

8. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    The advantage of the touch screen is that it will make some operations less complex. For example, to move the focus area around the screen, currently you have to use arrow keys; much easier just to tap the place where you want the focus area to be.

Granted, if you never use that feature, the touch screen offers no benefit; then you just turn it off and don't use it.

9. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    One of the reasons I find it to be rather useful is that so many people here have cameras with no EVF, something unthinkable not very long ago, at least to people that take their pics very seriously. I bought a G1 because of the rave reviews of the EVF and having owned a Sony with no EVF, I swore I would never have another camera without an EVF. Now you are seeing so many fairly sophisticated cameras that rely solely on a LCD screen. I would think that a touchscreen for commands would be second nature to many people with the proliferation of touch screen phones, like my Verizon Touch Pro 2. I think the G2 is just the beginning and soon a lot of serious cameras will have touch screens. Even some will have no controls other than a shutter button, on and off and a touch screen. Leave it to Panasonic to be the first major player. The rest will play catchup.

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I rarely use a mobile phone, no signal at home, and if that's the future I hope my G1 keeps going for a long time.
    :)

Barrie

11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i haven't a clue , but a love a great question .... hope you find the machine for your needs

cheers

12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    evfs .......

you are so right they are the future , but at this juncture in history there is pretty damn good............. and dismal and ...........lousy but somewhat useable

when the ep2 came out i went to b&h and played with a demo unit for a few mins.
    i was completely blown away by the crispness , high refresh and high eyepoint relief
    that the oly evf provides , wow i said , and wow i say now.

i currently own 2 cameras and their accessory evfs :

the lovable companion to my ep1...a panny GF-1 with evf
    & "best point&shoot ever" 24-72equiv. ricoh gx-200 with evf

to be honest both are lousy, but somewhat use able, when you get past the disgust
    at pixel counts and visual quality , useful for framing........ useless for manual focus
    useful in bright sun..........
    When they finally produce a tiny lcd that is a mini high def tv with 120 hz refresh the with a quality like her ep2s or the g1\2s or better, the mirror box will go the way of the dodo................................................, im not sure this is a good thing however

13. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    That's true. When birding with my G1, I have to allow for the EVF not keeping up with the bird as I shoot and will probably wind up with a red dot sight setup. Someday, the EVF will keep up and like you say, the mirror will no longer serve any purpose.

I'm an artist and years ago most nice illustrations for paperbacks like for a Star Trek paperback were hand painted by airbrush artists like Dru Blair. I attended one of his week long events a few years ago and he related that there was no money in it anymore. It took too much time to do an illustration for them with an airbrush for the amount of money they paid since the successful artists now were doing all their illustrations on a computer with a tablet and pen combo so they could do one quickly and go on to the next job. It's just an accepted fact now that most commercial illustrators now do it all or most of their work on a computer with a pressure sensitive surface screen.

I'm just thinking ten years from now, all the knobs will we be gone and all the controls will be in touchscreen and we won't think a thing about it.

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I would second the advice to get the G1 ... the image quality will be splitting hairs (if any exists) but the price you can get the G1 for now is a steal. Fish around on eBay and I'm sure you'll get one cheap ... money saved and all.

IFF in 2 years there is a G3 which is strides ahead of the G1 then ... perhaps upgrade then.

I personally never upgraded my EOS past 20D, just never thought there was enough in it ... now I don't even have that ... just the G1

:)

15. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    I've little idea who makes lenses for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic, etc. I do know for example that Tamron has made Zeiss lenses, and I don't suppose there's anything unusual about that. And I also don't suppose for a moment that it's Leica that makes sensibly priced Leica lenses.

If you're talking about the brand name (and presumable designer and perhaps also manufacturer), then there have been excellent Ricoh lenses, and the lenses for the new Samsung are getting high praise too.

(The truly brand-obsessed may wish to wait until there is a "Hermes limited edition" of this or that Panasonic camera.)

16. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    the rate at which shots are now being taken with M4/3 cams - you'll be about 10,000 shots behind if you wait

Get both -

17. Adam Schneider

Adam Schneider Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm struggling with the same dilemma as the original poster, but rather than looking for something to supplement a DSLR, I'm upgrading from a 2005/2006 Canon S2 IS (a "prosumer" point-and-shoot)... so it's a big step up no matter what. I'm sold on the Panasonics because the flip-out screen is a must-have feature for me.

I see three main differences between the G1 & G2, for my purposes:
    1) Touch screen
    2) Video
    3) Controls - specifically, the "click dial" has been moved to the back.

#1 is intriguing to me but not a deal-breaker. #2 I can probably live without. But I wonder about #3; have G1 users found that they often inadvertently nudge that wheel on the handgrip?

Price is a big issue for me; I could get a new G1 for $624 on Amazon right now, but unfortunately we have no idea what their price will be on the G2 in a couple months. Is it possible that the G2 will have a higher street price than the G1, with the lower-end G10 taking the G1's price point, or even going a little lower?

18. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi Adam,
    Whilst I've not had my G1 for very long I have found no problem with the positioning of the "click dial" and have not inadvertently moved it during operation of the camera.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  19. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I posted the original question and thank everyone for their responses.

I ended up taking a bit of different path for the time being and picked up an E-PL1. While I posted earlier that video was not a big issue for me, my wife and 12 year old son decided that it was for them as they want to use the camera on occasion also.

Personally, I think I'll be buying the G2 in @ June and will turn the E-PL1 over to the wife. BillN makes a great point that if you wait you will be 10k images behind by June in the developing 4/3 world.

Great forum and advice. From what I can see around the web, the best source or real hands-on advice form actual 4/3's users vs. some of the canned reviews that are pumped out from some reviewers who spent 15 minutes with the device in their office (not that all of them are like that).

20. Adam Schneider

Adam Schneider Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It's a bit frustrating that there are so few brick-and-mortar retailers for Panasonic cameras. I wish I could go hold a G1 in my hand, but the only store in Portland that ever carries them (that I know of) doesn't have them in stock.