1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G1 new owner question about focus confirmation

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cherrywood, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello just received my new G1 and i am using my contax g 45mm MF lens on the G1:confused:
    Does the G1 have a Focus Confirmation for these MF lens, Like a nikon Dslr using non CPU lens, or do use Magnifying Focus Assist when needed as well as regular MF.?

Also, in using MF assist is there a simple one touch method, instead using the the four way controller, ie. left touch, then the second press of the set button, to put you in the MF assist magnify mode?

Final question, since I do not have any native lens yet only MF, when using Native lens is there Focus Confirmation arrows, or dots in the viewfinder when using Native len's? Please some Help from you G1 pro's !!!
    Dennis.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't know about MF lenses, but there is AF confirmation on native lenses, and "focus priority" that wont let you trip the shutter unless focus is confirmed

3. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Focus Confirmation

Thanks TC, on that part of the question. Is that focus confirmation in the form of arrows , dots or other?

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The focal square turns green. It can also beep.

Remember, CDAF doesn't know which direction or how far out like PDAF does, so arrows don't make much sense. Of course, there aren't any front/back accuracy issues either

5. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks TC

Ok that explains the Native lens Focus Con. So is there any one else that knows if the MF adapted lens have Focus confirmation and how to set it.? Also the Focus Assist one touch Question, I thought I read some where that the New G2 had the one touch.??
    Thanks again, TC
    Dennis

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Dennis,
    There is no focus confirmation for adapted lenses on the G1 (nor I imagine any other m4/3 camera since there is no electrical contact between any adapted lens and the camera electronics, so the camera has no idea where the lens is set).

The G1 has a 2 button push to bring up the magnified focus assist as you have sussed out, I have no experience on the G2 to help with your one button magnified focus assist question.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1