1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G1 Lens questions.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RobertS, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I have 2 questions.
    1) What would be a good 2 lens outfit to have for my G1? One woud need to be a tele lens for wildlife, etc.

2) If using non-IS lenses, such as legacy lenses with adapters, what is the longest tele lens that one could "normally" shoot with handheld? I see several 200/4 lenses that sound like what I could really use, but I'm afraid that my steadiness, or lack of it, would ruin my attempts at using such a lens.
    And to complicate things, such a lens would be used "in the field" and without a tripod. So, would it be wise for me to forget MF lenses for tele work?

Thanks

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    At the longer end

from what I have seen, if you are into wildlife photography using M43 go for the Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 100-300mm F4.0-5.6 - (I know that you may think that it is expensive), - go straight to the 100 300mm and don't mess around and waste your money (and time) with MF legacy glass

I use my DSLR for any nature shots - but I have used lots of MF glass on M43

you need AF and ease of use that the 100 300mm brings and it is great value for money - (and you get IS)

IMHO

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you can't hand-hold a legacy prime with a relatively fast aperture, then how are you going to hand-hold a native zoom with a much slower aperture?

Don't worry, legacy telephoto primes are lightweight and very easy to hand-hold. The 200mm f/4 format isn't the fastest, but it is relatively fast and very compact! I use them all the time as my go-anywhere telephotos. Either that or a 135mm f/2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter - which also equates to a 200mm f/4. :)

The OM Zuiko 200mm f/4 is one of my favorites.

e_zuiko_200mm_f4_web.
    lemur_web.
    bighorn_web.
    100% crop photo:
    rachel_de_stijl_crop.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    My setup, mainly used for tourist photography, is the Oly 9-18 and the Panny 14-140. The Oly tends to be the indoor lens, caves & churches, and the Panny the outdoor lens.

I started with the Panny 14-45 and 45-200 but the crossover point between the two lenses proved to be awkward. Many outdoor things want focal lengths shorter than 45 and other outdoor things want focal lengths longer than 45. So, too much lens changing.

For a recent trip to Africa, I added a second G1 body and a 100-300.

With the Oly: Library. Girl_and_House.

With the 14-140: Maring_Iguana_301.

With the 100-300: Giraffe_Head_On.

For me, IMHO for any tourism, zooms are essential. Depending on what you like to photograph, YMMV.

5. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I appreciate the comments, thus far. And I will look into the 100-300mm lens for my G1.