G1 language choice

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry I hijacked this thread about accessing a hidden menu in the G(H)-1. Not wanting to aggravate my earlier actions, I'll continue here instead.

Autoplagiarizing for a moment:

One thing that amazed me was my discovery that there's no language-switching option. I can read Japanese but I can read English much faster. Googling around tells me that this is a widely known misfeature of the Japanese-market G1. If I'd known before buying that only Japanese was available, I'd still have bought the thing; but it's irritating.

Which is what led me to fool around with pressing three buttons at a time and all that. Whereupon my G1 had a mental melt-down, as described in the earlier thread.

Anyway I took it in to Panasonic (conveniently just an hour or so away by train, and I happily read Going Rouge).

When I was there I had the person at the counter add my request to have the crippleware setting deactivated and instead have it set to multilingual mode. She was entirely unfazed by this request.

I got a phone call today from Panasonic. The caller said that the camera could not be converted to multilingual mode. I said clearly but politely that I found that hard to believe, but didn't push it.

The caller then added that an English-language manual didn't exist. At this point I wanted to say something like "In view of the way the camera is sold around the world, notably to belligerently monoglot people in such nations as the US and A, that statement is so risible that you've undercut your last shreds of credibility." But I said something less damning (and I think undeservedly polite). The woman backtracked and said that the factory didn't have the English manual. (Hmm, come to think of it, that's a possible interpretation of what she'd said at the start.)

Anyway, Panasonic is still having its employees stick to the cock-and-bull story about the uniqueness of Japanese-market cameras.

I now of course don't have the camera with me to check what it says. I do however have the box that it came in, and although some of what's written on it is in Japanese, there is no statement in Japanese, English, or any other language that says that the menus are only in Japanese.

I still presume that a jailbreak from Japanese exists, and just wonder what it is.

Carlarm

Mu-43 Regular
I'm wondering, if you were to update your camera's firmware if it would take on the language from the new file?

babaimage

Mu-43 Rookie
I already update the GF1 body firmware from v1.0 to v1.1, no changes on the menu. Actually there is no option to change language on v1.0 in the 1st place as the menu language is defaulted to japanese.

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
This 2008 press release says that the "OSD language" is:

English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian,
Chinese(Traditional), Chinese(Simplified), Dutch, Thai, Korean,
Turkish, Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Finnish, Danish, Swedish

This is widely copied, even to the odd conjoining of "Chinese" and the following parenthesis.

Oddly, the relevant page of the long dpreview.com article lists only:

• English
• German
• French
• Spanish
• Italian
• Polish
• Czech
• Hungarian
• Dutch
• Turkish
• Portuguese
• Finnish
• Danish
• Swedish
• Japanese

No Chinese or Korean. I can't read and don't want either, but I wonder about the difference. If for example there's a Korean-only version and somebody has managed to multilinguify it, I'd like to know how.

babaimage

Mu-43 Rookie
What I don't understand why Panasonic make a Japanese market only camera with no option to change language, when at the same time make a same model for other market with the option of changing the menu to Japanese language also.

I had previously bought a Lumix FX-30 [P&S] in Japan [as I'm living in Japan:confused:] but have no problem with the camera menu language as there is option to change it to English....even EP1 & EP2 got the option to change the language to English.:doh:

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
What I don't understand why Panasonic make a Japanese market only camera with no option to change language, when at the same time make a same model for other market with the option of changing the menu to Japanese language also.

Well, er, perhaps for that enormous demographic of people who speak Japanese as a first language, live outside Japan, and don't want to buy stuff in/from Japan.

Yes, I've bought all the predecessors of this camera in Japan, and one of the things I did in the first minute after turning it on was to cut the silly "operation" beep, minimize the sound it makes when taking a photo, and switch to English. (One tiny plus for Panasonic: they didn't design the G1 -- or its firmware -- so that by default it would beep when you press any button.)

I've just noticed that Arabic, too, disappears between the one list of languages and the other.

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
If you open firmware bin file you can see different languages inside. I've managed to recognize english, french and german descriptions of some functions.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Good find - I think we know this is simple market fixing... without inside info though, it's unlikely this will ever be hacked/unlocked.

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom