1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G1/GF1 book

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jl-lb.ms, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
  2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I think so. I have the book and both the G1 and GF1 cameras and basically the menus and most of the contols are the same on both cameras, though maybe in slightly different locations.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Personally, I thought the Busch book was a waste of money - nothing in there that isn't in the manual or things like the dpreview reviews.

4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I think this too. It's a glorified manual, admittedly quite clear and well written, but there's nothing there that you couldn't find without playing/trial and error and the technique side of it you could find in any book or ask on here or another photography site and get a better explanation for free.

If you've got very limited knowledge of photography, perhaps stepping up from a real P&S camera, you'd probably find it quite helpful. I've given mine to a mate who's stepped up from a Cybershot camera phone to a GF-1 on mine & another friends recommendation. Until today, he wasn't overly impressed with it, when I spotted he's been shooting with it on 'A' which he'd assumed to mean automatic!

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Personally, I don't think the factory manual is all that bad ... And it's free.

Now, I understand some of the translations are horrible (Dutch in particular). In that case, where the person needs an alternative, and understands English just OK, the extra clarity might be significant.

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I went ahead and bought the book anyway - I found the manual pretty poor in explaining what many of the functions actually did.

Have so far found David Busch's book, well written, the explanations are detailed without being over simplistic, and it serves its purpose in that regard.

If you're an experienced digital camera user, coming from DSLR or other high-end model then it may be of limited use to you, but I don't see that as its target audience.

Once I've understood all the various menu options and the set-up of the Custom menus etc, then perhaps, the manual will make more sense!

7. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    The printed manual is small enough to keep in a camera bag and is useful for quick reference. However I don't find it convenient to sit down and read so I have downloaded a copy and have imported it into a free iPad app called Stanza, this has the advantage of a search function which works really well.

I think there is no substitute for user advice available in this and other forums, we can all learn from other users experience.

8. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I too have the manual in.pdf format on my iPad, Apple's official 'iBooks' app supports .pdf's and has full search facilities.
    Agreed, but I wouldn't want to ask in a forum what ever specific feature was. I prefer to read what I can, experiment, and then come here and ask when I still don't grasp something or need further help/assistance.

9. ascherjim

ascherjim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    I bought the book directly from the author, and I must confess I have some mixed feelings about it. I own both a G1 and a GF1. I found some actual errors (probably through inadequate proof-reading) as well as some (to me) incomprehensible instructions. (And as a lawyer, I think my comprehension of the written word is fairly good.) I emailed the author over the first error I found, and received back from him a courteous thank you. I subsequently emailed him twice more over other issues and never received a response. I expect he had soon come to regard me as something of a pest. Anyway, the author himself at the outset acknowledges that most if not all that is contained in his book is also in the manual that came with the camera, but is (to him) more accessible in his book. Overall, the the book, for it's rather inexpensive price from the author, is useful, but not essential.