G1, G3 or E-P3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by guzziknight, Apr 16, 2013.

1. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I am looking to buy a "new" camera. I currently have an E-P1 and E-PL2. I want to send the E-PL2 to get IR converted. I'm looking for another second body to replace it, or to become my primary shooter. I absolutely love my E-P1.

I've narrowed the search to the 3 cameras listed. The problem is that I can't try the Panny's out, since no one near me sells them. I love Olympus, so am leaning towards the E-P3. I can get one used for about $300. A used G3 for about $200, and a used G1 for $100-150.

95% of what I do is on tripod, manual mode, usually manual focus, HDR work. I like the G1 and G3 because of the built in EVF, although I won't use it much. I do like the articulated screen, a big plus in my opinion. But, I love the build quality and the feel of the E-P3.

The only Panny I've gotten my hands on is the GF2, and I didn't like it very much. Will I feel the same with the G1 or G3? Should I just go with what I know I'll like, the E-P3? Opinions?

Thanks

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I do like my e-p3. its outstanding. but... but you mentioned 95% use with a tripod and the ep3 suffers from some noise smearing in dark places in photo, and it´s hard to get rid of. I´ve heard that earlier pen´s are doing this better even the ep1.

But with this said, Im not the one that is disturb about this, I have a hard time justify buying an OM-d when the output from e-p3 is that nice, so I will keep this sturdy litle fellow for another year or two.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Seems to me that if you're truly happy with the E-P1, you should get the E-P3. Interface is not to be underrated.

4. guzziknight

May 18, 2011
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping there were folks who have used the E-P3 and G1/G3 and could compare the user experience between them. Different isn't necessarily a bad thing.

5. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

If you like the build quality of the EP 1 you will be disappointed if you get the Panasonics. I like my G5 but it doesn't come anywhere near the quality of my EP 3.
    My recommendation would be to save or stretch the budget a little more and get a G5 it is a step up image wise from the EP3 and has some nice features.

6. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I have an E-PL1, an OM-D, and a G3. The OM-D is a little jewel, but with an extremely frustrating UI. The G3 has got to be the most underrated, underpriced camera around, with a much simpler UI and image quality that is very close to the OM-D. If I had known when I bought the OM-D what I know now, I would have used the money for a pair of G3s and had money left over for a lens or two.

7. guzziknight

May 18, 2011
    Part of my dilemma is that without being able to get my hands on the G3/G5, I don't know if I'd like it. Image quality is a factor as well, but I need to get the best bang for my money.

Seems like it's between the E-P3 and G3. If the G3's IQ is nearly that of the OMD, I should save $100 and get that.

8. guzziknight

May 18, 2011
    I think the G5 is just out of my price range. I don't shoot for a living, it's strictly a hobby, so $500 for a body is just too much right now.

Thanks!

9. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal

Hello fransglans, I am an E-p3 user and it took me a while to understand but the dark area smearing problem you mention is because of the in-camera jpeg engine. It is perfectly okay when you shoot in Raw.

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I do a lot of urbex HDR and I'll tell you that articulated screen lets me see the shot when the camera has to be set up in an "impossible" location. I recently added a G5 to my E-M5 and I absolutely love it. On the tripod for HDR the lack of IBIS is no problem.

I vote for the G1 or G3 with the G3 edging out the G1 in resolution to allow a little post capture cropping if needed. Either one has the "C1" and "C2" positions to memorize your HDR setup which is much easier than MySets.

I'm partial to Oly myself -- but I have to admit these Panasonic G's have their charms.

Here's an urbex set I shot recently with a G5: Breaking Nick - a set on Flickr

11. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have an EPL2 and the G3 and absolutely love both. My G3 resides primarily on my tripod (EBay and Etsy photos) and it is perfect. The image quality is fabulous. Vastly underrated, best bang for the buck right now. The interface is much less convoluted than the Oly's. Really a great camera. Besides, if you want it for tripod work, it shouldn't matter how it feels in your hands, although I must say is is very comfy to shoot hand held.

12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Id personally rule out the G1 given the choice and go for either the G3 or the E-P3
    Many find the G3 uncomfortable to use because of the small grip
    I didnt find this to be a particular problem even with the 14 - 140mm Panasonic and always enjoyed using the G3 - as others have said this is such a great camera for the money
    However the E-P3 is one of the best feeling cameras available imo - it feels so good in the hand and produces very good if not spectacular results
    The image quality and low light response will be better with the G3 which also has the built in VF but the quality feel of the E- P3 and it's jpeg performance is compelling and it has built in IS although this doesnt seem to feature in your requirements
    Id say that if I went with 'my head' id go with the G3 but if I went 'with my heart' Id go with the
    E- P3
    Ive re purchased both cameras at one time or another - Ive bought the E-P3 3 times in all !
    If I had to be 'stuck' with one camera forever that I enjoyed using I would definitely not be upset at having to keep an E- P3
    As you seem to be very familiar and comfortable with Olympus cameras Id tend to err on the side of the E- P3 and at the end of the day if you dont actually have a G3 or other camera available for constant comparison then you should be able to be happy with it
    Regards
    Rob

13. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Showing Love for the G3 (and E-M5)

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Camera - Review

Scroll to the bottom of this page where it states:

"Detail comparison. High-contrast details are often sharper as ISO rises, so they're worth a look as well. Astonishingly, it's the two 16-megapixel Micro Four Thirds cameras that seem to turn out the best high-contrast detail at both ISO 3,200 and 6,400: the E-M5 and G3. The aspect ratio is different between the MFT and APS-C cameras, so the given element is larger on the MFT cameras. Reds are a little truer on the Canon, Fujifilm, and D7000, while they get closer to black on the E-M5, E-P3, and G3 at the higher ISOs. Overall, though, the Olympus E-M5 is looking pretty good."

14. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    I've got the G1, G2 and G3. Love them all, but the G3 is so much better in low light and even though it's almost "too small" for me, I use it most of the time. Very underrated and can be had cheaply if you look...