G1 focus question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ddb, Jul 27, 2010.

1. I am used to using a Canon 40D and 5D and being able to select one of the focus points for the area of the frame that I want. I can not seem to find a way to do this with my G1. Is it possible and if so, how? I usually shoot in either manual or AV mode if that matters.

2. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

hi there, in any of the auto modes its not possible to select the focus point i think.

In the other modes click the left arrow button which will give u a menu and four options to select "AF MODE",

then move the left + right arrows until the option furthest to the right is highlighted. This should be an icon with a box with a rectangle in it.

The words "AF AREA" Should appear at the bottom of the screen, now press the down arrow. and you'll be able to move a box with the arrow buttons to select the focus area and use the front dial to increase or decrease the focus area.

Hope that helps :) if not don't hesitate to let me know and I'll do my best to help.

3. vincechu

oh a few more tips i've just thought of:

1.to reselect a different area to focus quickly just press left arrow and down arrow

2. just half press the shutter button to use/confirm the area u've selected to use for focusing.

4. Vincechu, thanks for the help, it is much appreciated. I have another question also. I am working with GND filters and am not getting what I expect with my shots. If I spot meter on a close subject in the foreground and set my focus point to that same spot, do I need to use the AF/FE lock to keep that setting before I recompose and slide my GND into place? Not sure if I am explaining this properly so I hope you catch my meaning.

5. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Why wouldn't you just meter where you want with the GND in place? And then correct with the exposure compensation, it's what I've done.

Anyhow, if you want to lock exposure without having to keep the shutter half-pressed, yes you need to use AE lock.

6. vincechu

sorry abt the late reply, tam has answered the question, you need to enable AE lock. its under the custom menu.