1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G1 firmware 1.41 (unofficial?)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bilzmale, Apr 17, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Someone has asked a question (onDPR) about this version of firmware that supposedly allows use of non-oem batteries again. I assume it is a hacked version and a Google search came up with a non-Panasonic site listing it as a download.

I'd be reluctant to try it (and will not give a link on this forum) as it seems the updates after 1.2 are minimal and do bar the non-oem batteries. My 'new' G1 is at 1.2 and there it will stay.

Anyone have any background to add on this?

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Bill I have G1 with latest firmware and 3rd party batteries work ...
    "SDIO" brand works fine np.
    Got them from Ebay very cheap well made and fit well work as OEM

3. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I think you mean "SIDO", can't find SDIO anywhere.

The rumour is that panasonic accidentally released a 1.4 that didnt include the battery exclusion. Many downloaded it and found their non-OEM batteries worked again!

Panasonic got flooded with questions about whether they changed their mind on the warranty issue too... and so the 1.4 download was then withdrawn and later reissued with the battery lockdown in place. So, the only we can get the unlocked 1.4 is from those who just happened to download it at the right time, realised, and made it available for the rest of us.

So yes, it appears that it IS an official panny update but that it has been withdrawn and is now a 'black market' firmware. Luckily installing it can't be used against you as you can claim you only ever updated from the official site. Win! :D

But for goodness sake don't go telling people that the current panasonic 1.4 updater allows SIDO batteries unless you have a second body and are prepared to try it out : ) But trust me, it doesn't, and then you can't go back (unless someone mods the firmware)

Boyzo, There IS a chance that your 1.4 firmware IS the battery killer but that SIDO batteries have incorporated the extra circuitry to emulate an original panny (rather like a chipped printer cartridge) but, if they had, I'm sure they would advertise this fact and claim compatibility with firmware above 1.2. Since they don't I would assume this is not the case and that your 1.4 is the unlocked one.

My advise to anyone wanting an unlocked G1 is the get the magic 1.4 image soon ... because if I was Panny I'd start flooding a few fakes out to lock down those attempting to break free. But, do a file comparison to make sure it isn't the 'fixed' release as it might just save you from being duped.

I'm using the unlocked 1.4... with an unbranded HK battery (not SIDO) which works splendidly.

Just note that cheap batteries are often cheap for a reason. No overheat protection, short circuit protection or overcharge room... possibly a surprisingly low tolerance to recharge cycles and possibly pathetic capacities. You pay your money you take your chance. Certainly 10 pounds is enough money for a decent replacement battery as good as the stock panny so there are some good deals out there.

-Gary

4. kathyh

kathyh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    My G1 has version 1.4 that I downloaded from Panasonic. Since I coughed up for a second Panny battery I've never tried any other kind. Is there any way I can tell if this is the locked or unlocked version short of buying a cheap battery.

Kathy

5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi Gary...
    The batteries are indeed branded SIDO are they chipped to work with G1 vers 1.4 don't know they also work in the GF1 fine.
    You raised points about overheating / overcharge protection etc good points, the SIDO seem fine to me.

Ok my 1.40 may be the unchipped F/W not sure cant remember :)

edit: G1___141.bin 18 sept 2009 is my current f/w for G1

But was the GF1 as launched battery chipped ???

Cheers

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks Gary for that insight.

7. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Good question, I really don't know about the GF1. Obviously the later the batch the more likely though, so new ones may well be.

For those that have 1.3+ locked firmware images I would assume that the more serious aftermarket folks will eventually mod their batteries to emulate the stock panny. I've never opened one up but at some point someone will and then its only a matter of time : )

Look at the shutter release, just a simple matter of the correct resistances : )

-Gary