G1 dropping files

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jl-lb.ms, Apr 21, 2011.

1. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    Hello all,

After a shoot yesterday, I noticed that I only retrieved a small fraction of the images that I took, and only those were visible in the file system on the card. (I'm using a SanDisk 16 GB.) I was able to purchase recovery software that retrieved all of the files. Even more disturbing was that the software recovered files from a trip I had made last November! I had not seen these images - and the card had been formatted several times since then.

Any ideas what's going on?

thanks,

John

2. what method were you using to retreive the files? Direct USB cable or flash card in PC? Were you copying from the folders or using a software package to retreive them? Were the 'missing' files all of the same type, i.e. RW2 or jpg?

Some software does not recognize RW2 and may be leaving those files behind.

3. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    To retrieve the files, I was using a a card reader and treating the device as a PC volume, then copying all files, both .jpg and raw, to the hard drive. The dropped files were of both types.

Thanks.

4. That is odd. I've used a G1 and a GH2 and handle the files the same way. No problems with either system in this regard. You didn't set any of the 'lock file' features in the camera, I assume?

5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, John,

were the "dropped" files the last ones from your shoot ?
    Was the last downloaded file a xxx999 ?
    In that case, look for a second folder that will have your "lost" pics.

If the answer to the two questions is no, disregard my message !

C U,
    Rafael

6. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    Doh! That's what it was. I've had lots of digital cameras, but never one that split the files. Oh well, at least it recovered my photos from Switzerland!

Thanks!